Chapter 4: Return

It's been three weeks since you last heard from Mirio, and it was driving you insane.

At first, things with Mirio were amazing. Even if the two of you hadn't been on your first date yet, you'd been talking every night for the first two weeks of your budding relationship. You'd seen his bruises slowly heal, his arm come out of the cast and slowly regain its strength and color. His smile seemed to get more genuine, and whenever he smiled your heart gave way to him a little more.

Where had things gone wrong?

Oh, right.

Three weeks ago you'd finally decided to ask Mirio what had been on his mind so much, and why he wasn't at U.A. anymore. For just a split second, you saw despair in his eyes before he showed you a big smile and a lighthearted "Oh, just some personal stuff, just needed a break," left his lips. Before you could press further, Mirio was talking about how exhausted he was from the physical therapy, "Oh man, I'm really tired. Y/n, let's get some rest, okay? I'll tell you about it in the morning." "Okay, just promise you'll tell me the truth?" "I promise!"

The next day, Mirio didn't answer any phone calls or texts. It was like he vanished from the face of the Earth! You sat on your couch pondering this, tapping your foot onto the living room's hardwood floor. Shakily, you sipped wine from a crown-headed wine glass as you gazed at news articles on your phone. Seemed like all was right in the world.

A loud, booming knock came at the door, causing you to flinch and spill wine onto the cream-colored sofa. "Shit-" you cursed, trying to blot the wine up with a paper towel. The knocks came again, thundering against the door, causing you to jump to your feet and head to the door. Would it be cops? Is someone getting murdered? You cautiously opened the door only to find Mirio there, hair messy, clothes dirtied, tears running down his face as he leaned forward and wrapped you into a tight hug.

"Wh-Mirio?!" Was all you could manage to exclaim, reaching around him to hold him.

"M-My quirk," he sobbed, "I-It's gone! They can't bring it back, m-my quirk is gone!"

What? Quirks don't just disappear! Especially not a powerful one like Mirio's, there was just no way in hell!

More importantly, you needed to get Mirio settled.

"Okay, okay, come in, let's sit on the couch and you can tell me about it." You said in your most soothing voice, rubbing his back and giving him a firm pat. Mirio's sobs turned to hiccups as you took his hand and led him to the living room couch. You sat down and patted your thighs, indicating for him to place his head on your lap. He did so, sniffling, hiccuping, eyes red from how hard he'd been crying. You gently ran your fingers through his hair, smiling a little as his body relaxed under your hands. "Want to talk about it?" You asked softly, not wanting to upset him further. Mirio was quiet for a moment, then said:

"Back when I was in U.A., I was protecting a very special little girl from that terrorist Overhaul. When I was trying to stop her from getting hurt, Overhaul's crony shot me with a quick-killing bullet. I...I haven't been messaging you because I was working with a team to get my quirk back. It looks like it'll never happen."

Tears were dripping onto your thighs and Mirio's body started to tremble.

"I'll never...I'll never save a million people."

You gently caressed his cheek, listening intently. 'That's what the radio meant by early retirement,' you thought before finally saying: "Mirio, by stopping Overhaul you probably already saved a million people. Thanks to you he can't hurt anyone anymore." His trembles subsided from constant to the occasional shiver and sniffle. He was listening to you. "You're still a hero, Mirio! Being quirkless doesn't change that. Like M*men Rider from *ne *unch *an." You said with a smile, wiping away his tears. Mirio was quiet until finally, he said: "I don't want to be alone right now. Can I..stay with you?"

"Of course."