chapter twenty two

Start from the beginning

'momma wake up now?'

'she will soon sweetie, she's just tired right now.' gina held the girl close to her chest, iggy in one arm and rosa's hand in the other hand.

'momma?' iggy whispered

another tear dropped onto gina's cheek because of what her daughter was doing. it broke the woman's heart that her daughter couldn't just talk to rosa, hug her, tell her about what she had for breakfast. iggy had always been the most chatty with rosa and as much as gina didn't want to think about it, she didn't know if iggy would have another conversation with rosa again.

gina didn't even realise oscar standing behind her until he rubbed her back, comfortingly. 'do you want me to take iggy?' he asked

'no it's okay. you stay in here, i'll take her back to jake,' gina rose from her seat next to rosa and left the room, still holding her girl close to her chest.

the redhead took isla off amy before sitting down on one of the chairs, just holding both of her daughters close to her

'you mind if i go in and see her?' amy asked softly

'mhm, sure. oscar's in there too.' gina smiled, but you could tell it was just to cover up the pain.

—————

oscar had gone home, charles had taken iggy and isla to get some food and amy had gone to get gina a change of clothes since her current outfit had been on for over 24 hours and it had rosa's blood on it. gina didn't care, but amy offered to get her some more from the apartment and she wasn't in the mood to say much so she just nodded

yet again, jake and gina were in rosa's room. nobody was saying anything. the only thing gina could focus on was the beeping of the machine, going in a steady rhythm. that's gotta be good? it's beeping steadily, so rosa's heart rate must be strong. still, the redhead let tears pour down her cheeks.

'gina, do you think you should maybe eat something now? even if it's just something from the vending machine, you haven't eaten and barely drank in 24 hours.'

the woman nodded, 'can you do it? i don't care what you get.'

jake stood up and rubbed gina's back, trying to tell her everything was gonna be okay even if he didn't know whether it would be. he then left the room, leaving the couple alone. again, gina focused on the beeping of the machine.

the steady timing was somewhat reassuring, it told gina that rosa was gonna be okay... until the machine let out one long tone. the dreaded sound. the sound that nobody wanted to hear.

gina looked up at the machine, seeing one long green line across the screen where there had been little rhythms just a minute earlier. 'ROSA!' she yelled. 'ROSA YOU CAN'T LEAVE ME.' gina sobbed before a nurse ran in.

'miss linetti, we need you to leave the room,' she said as a few more nurses hurried into the room

gina didn't know what to do. she didn't have the energy to argue but she didn't wanna leave the room. she couldn't leave rosa. 'please, miss linetti.' gina's sobs just grew heavier, she put her face in her hands as she was escorted out the room and then she felt herself collapse onto someone, she guessed it was jake, and then she felt that person (jake) pulling her into a tight, almost reassuring hug.

jake had no idea what was going on. he assumed the worst, of course, but right now his only focus was the woman who was sobbing into his chest and crying out for her fiancé.

a few minutes passed before the doctors and nurses who were working on rosa left the room, one of them looking over to jake and shaking her head before mouthing 'i'm sorry.' at him