chapter twelve

'ready?' rosa asked gina as she pulled up to the driveway. gina nodded, 'you ready ig?' rosa asked as she turned to face the child in the back of the car.

'but iggy eat cookies?'

rosa laughed, 'we'll see if they have any okay?'

the three of them got out of the car and gina knocked on the door, with iggy copying her and frantically knocking on the door until it opened.

'hola,' mr diaz opened the door with a smile on his face. he bent down so he was eye level with iggy, 'i guess you're iggy,' he smiled.

the child grabbed onto her mum's hand and tugged on it slightly. 'it's okay princess,' rosa told her. 'you can say hi and you can tell abuelo all about your day with mommy yeh?'

'rosa told me you like cookies,' oscar smiled

'cookies mommy!' she smiled before she ran into the house, pulling rosa with her. gina followed them both in, smiling at the man who'd answered the door as she entered the house.

'hola mami,' rosa greeted as she sat on the couch with iggy on her knee. 'you can say hi princess.'

'hi,' the girl said shyly before she climbed over rosa onto gina.

'hola rosalita,' julia smiled. 'hello gina, nice to see you again.'

the auburn woman just smiled and looked at rosa, who was playing with iggy.

'so uhh, gina, how are you? how have you been?' mr diaz asked to avoid an awkward silence

'yeh i'm doing okay, mainly thanks to rosa,' she smiled at her fiancé. 'we're actually getting married, and obviously i'm pregnant too. things are going great,' she saw mrs diaz's mouth open trying to get some words out.

'rosalita, you- you proposed? you want to marry gina? are you sure?' mrs diaz asked as if she was trying to persuade her daughter against the idea

'yeh i proposed, i don't care what you think. we're getting married, we're gonna raise iggy and the baby and we're gonna do it whether you want us to or not.'

mrs diaz left the room stunned, leaving mr diaz with the trio.

'i'm proud of you mija, and i think gina, iggy and the baby will fit in will with the rest of the family... when you're ready to tell them, of course,' oscar smiled.

'gracias, pero i only care about you and mom, and if mom isn't gonna accept it then i only care about you and what you think. me and gina are gonna get married and mom probably won't be happy so if you wanna take her side, i get it.' the detective told her father as she held gina's hand tight

'i want to support you, you're my daughter mija. it doesn't matter what your mother or i want, as long as you're happy.' mr diaz lowered his voice slightly, 'i'm glad you're marrying gina, i think you're gonna be an amazing mom.'

'gracias,' rosa smiled. 'and thanks for not just taking mom's side.'

mr diaz smiled at his daughter, 'i love you mija.'

'i uh... love you too,' she blurted out, before turning and playing with the child that was on gina's knee.

—————

the three of them had just gotten home after their dinner. iggy was running around the apartment because of the energy she got from the three cookies she'd eaten, as well as the other food, and rosa and gina sat down on the couch.

'that didn't go terrible right?' gina asked

'i mean... she wasn't there for half of it and she didn't say much for the other half so yeh i guess. she didn't insult you or give us reasons to not get married either.'

'i love you ro.' gina held her fiancé's hand and placed them both on her own knee.

rosa smiled, 'you haven't called me ro for ages,' she leaned her head on gina's shoulder, 'i missed it... gines.'

gina smiled, 'gines, cute.' she kissed rosa's cheek before she got up off the couch. 'i'm gonna go put ig to bed.'

'can you wait a couple minutes? i forgot to tell you something.' rosa pulled gina's hand back, making the administrator sit back down. 'don't freak out, it's not really that important... it is but it isn't.'

'what? did you get pregnant or something?'

'no,' rosa laughed. 'i'm gonna be a sergeant, i passed-' she couldn't even finish the rest of her sentence before she was submerged in a hug, barely able to breathe.

'ro, you're gonna be a sergeant! you're gonna be the hottest sergeant ever ugh,' gina pulled the ravenette closer if that was possible.

'well i will be if i don't pass out before it,' rosa muffled causing gina to pull away.

'i'm proud of you,' the assistant smiled at her girlfriend whilst she panted to get her breath back

'i'm gonna be a sergeant gi,' she smiled

'sergeant diaz, it's perfect.'

'sergeant diaz. it sounds weird, i'm so used to detective diaz.'

'you'll get used to it,' gina smiled. 'sergeant diaz. doesn't it just sound like the she's perfect. oh wait, she is perfect.'

'i love you so much gines.' rosa pulled the other woman close and connected their lips. 'so much,' she repeated whilst pulling away.

—————

gina groaned as she woke up. she rolled over and saw the time on the clock, 04.17. she rolled over and cuddled up to rosa's side before closing her eyes to try and get back to sleep.

rosa rolled over to face her fiancé and smiled slightly, still half asleep. 'someone's excited,' she mumbled.

'hmm?'

'the baby's kicking, i can feel it.' the woman pressed a light kiss against her fiancé's forehead.

'they're always kicking, i think they're gonna be a footballer... or a ballerina like you were.' gina giggled

'i love you but shut up. try and get some sleep if you can,' the now sergeant told her partner as she stroked her hair, eventually sending them both to sleep.

written: july 2021
published: july 2021