Chapter 7

Cha-young calls Vincenzo to the stand, naming him both witness and assailant against Babel. Per their plan, he beat up a group of Babel Chemicals employees in a public space. Now, he accuses Babel of cutting costs by neglecting to install a proper disposal system for BLSD that led to their researchers getting sick.

When Judge Heo yells at him for testifying before he’s even been accepted as a witness, Vincenzo holds up the phone from one of his assault victims, the head of the research team. Vincenzo testifies that they received the phone from an “employee” (Joo-sung in a Babel Chemicals jacket) who happened to read the texts and found incriminating evidence.

Judge Heo has no choice but to accept the submission of this dodgy evidence. Vincenzo then requests an ambulance in advance for his next assault victim: Babel’s doctor Gil Jong-moon who has been lying about the cause of Babel employees’ illness.

Myung-hee objects to this non-expert medical testimony, so Cha-young swoops in and announces a medical expert as her second last-minute witness. It just so happens to be Jong-moon’s wife Yeo-won who is a leukemia expert.

Despite furious headshaking from Wusang, Judge Heo reluctantly allows Yeo-won to testify. They drag a shocked Jong-moon out during her testimony.

Vincenzo first approached Yeo-won at an art gallery. After some flirting, he’d introduced himself and shown her records of the bribes her husband had been receiving. In exchange for her testimony, he promised Jipuragi would ensure she takes her husband for everything in their divorce. She agreed on one condition: an opera date with Vincenzo.

In court, she presents damning emails of her husband’s discussions with Dr. Ramos at UCLA on how to treat BLSD. Jong-moon explicitly acknowledged BLSD’s link with blood cancer and even specified the cause of illness in this case was improper toxic waste disposal.

Since the emails were sent to her by Dr. Ramos – they’re old friends – Myung-hee can’t get them dismissed due to illegal procurement. After Jong-moon is brought back in as a witness, Yeo-won whips out a bag of methamphetamines she found in Jong-moon’s desk.

Cha-young accuses him of habitual drug use, discrediting him as a witness. She and Vincenzo also assert Jong-moon framed Woo-young for drug use, which they can determine by testing the contents of the bag.

Jong-moon loses it and starts yelling at his wife. Yeo-won walks over and throws water in his face, and then she slaps him, drawing gasps from the audience. The couple has it out in the courtroom, ignoring the admonishments from Judge Heo and an incredibly incompetent bailiff who waits until she starts beating her husband with a microphone to intervene (unsuccessfully).

After that disastrous trial, Joon-woo orders Chairman Jang to hold a press conference admitting to the charges and announcing the discontinuance of BLSD. They’ll punish everyone involved and compensate the victims. Joon-woo also scathingly commands Chairman Jang to get moving on the demolition of Geumga Plaza.

 Joon-woo also scathingly commands Chairman Jang to get moving on the demolition of Geumga Plaza