"But while coming back is a sign that treatment didn't work, we do have cause to celebrate!"

Sofia inhaled sharply but did not open her eyes.

"Harper Murphy has entered the Release Program, and she is being Released today!"

This time, she couldn't resist. Sofia cut her eyes to Pauline. A scream was threatening to rip out of her like a knife, but when she opened her mouth, the screaming that ensued was not hers. All heads turned to the source of the sound. Jacob sat in his orange chair; palms pressed flush against his ears with knees bent up towards his chest. He seemed childlike in his tantrum as he rocked back in forth. His words were strung together not making sense. The room was stunned for a few seconds, even Pauline.

"It's death, it's death, it's death." He was practically chanting as if it were a spell.

Sofia edged away from him, despite having four people between them.

Pauline recuperated and went for the door to call in reinforcements. The atmosphere suddenly thickened as Jacob began to chant louder and louder. The group seemed to bristle as they stood and moved away from him into a corner. Falconers suddenly streamed in, grabbing Jacob by the shoulders. He snapped out of his trance and wrenched himself from the grip of the Falconer. With a scream Jacob dropped onto all fours as if he were a cat. His agility unnerved the rest of the group as he sprung up and bolted for the door. A falconer shoved Pauline out of the way, opening his arms to receive a surprisingly nimble teenager. Jacob leapt up, performing a front flip over the shoulder of the falconer.

The group swarmed forward, spilling into the hallway where the falconers had cornered Jacob. Sofia couldn't peel her eyes away. She knew this was a chance to do some exploring, but she had never seen Jacob behave this way. They'd exchanged only a handful of words during her stay there and those had been harder than trying to lay a screen protector just right. Pauline stumbled into the hallway, having gotten back to her feet after being tossed aside like a rag doll. Sofia dropped her eyes to the counselor's hand that was tightened into a fist. Her thumb moved back, sliding over what looked like a plunger. A syringe! Sofia perked up and maneuvered her way closer to Pauline. Whatever she was planning to do to Jacob, the same needed to happen to her.

A hand reached out and caught hers. For a flash, Sofia imagined Harper had returned to stop her from doing something stupid. She looked over to find Trisha instead, imperceptibly shaking her head as to not draw attention. No? No,what? She had to move forward! She slipped her hand away, sliding up behind Pauline. All she had to do was jump on her and get the Falconers to drag her away. Pauline barked orders to contain Jacob. He hadn't stopped fighting since flying into the hallway. She curled her hands in fists to steel herself and bent her knees preparing for a lunge. An arm wrapped itself around her neck and yanked her down to the floor. Pauline marched on towards Jacob, completely unawares. Two patients stepped in front of a fallen Sofia to keep her out of sight. Trisha clamped a hand over her mouth and ordered her to stop resisting.

There was a sharp scream then a lump hit the floor. Trisha helped Sofia back to her feet, then the pair squeezed to the front. Jacob had finally been subdued and was now lying unconscious at the feet of six Falconers and Pauline. With a snap of her fingers, she ordered them to pick up the boy and carry him away. She turned on her heels, clapping her hands as if she were shooing away a flock of chickens. Show was over, they were to all return to their rooms. Trisha grabbed Sofia by the elbow and speed-walked her to her room. The door automatically sealed behind them.

"So, Harper isn't here? Then who is?" Sofia asked.

"Me. They moved me in almost immediately. There was another girl here too, but she was released, so they told me I'd be getting you back as a roommate." Trisha explained.