Chapter 3

"All cats old enough to reach the top of the mountain gather below the Snowrock for a Clan Meeting!" Ashstar meowed. Almost all the cats simutaneosly walked to the center of camp and sat down in front of the Snowrock.

"Today we shall celebrate the ascent of two cats from kit to apprentice! They have reached six moons old, and are ready to receive the name of an apprentice! Whitekit and Smokekit! Come before me!" Ashstar called. Smokekit jumped about in excitement, and Whitekit's eyes widened.

"Whitekit, you will now be known as Whitepaw. Smokekit, you will now be called Smokepaw. Your mentors will be Freezefur and Opalclaw. Opalclaw, you will mentor Whitepaw and Freezefur will mentor Smokepaw! May StarClan guide you both well on your path to becoming warriors! If that is all, then clan dismissed." Ashclaw leaped down from the SnowRock and padded away. Whitepaw grinned at Smokepaw, but noticed the crestfallen expression on her friend's face. 

"What is it Smokepaw?" She asked quietly.

"Snowkit... Whitepaw, Snowkit wasn't named."

                                                                                               ***

When Opalclaw came to wake Whitepaw, she was sitting up in her nest. 

"Whitepaw. It's time for training," Opalclaw said. He was a large warrior with green eyes and a grey-white pelt.

"Oh! Yes, of course Opalclaw. I have a lot on my mind," Whitepaw said, getting up from her stiff position and trotting after him. After training, you have to find Snowkit, she told herself firmly. 

Whitepaw and her mentor leaped through the snow, the warrior pointing out important places, like a large cave in the mountainside where battle training usually took place, or the best places for hunting. Eventually, they moved down to the small strip of forest that SnowClan owned. 

"Why do we only have a bit of forest, and the other Clans have so much?" Whitepaw asked curiously. Opalclaw looked down at her.

"Because we have the whole mountain. You'd be surprised how many rabbits and ferrets live in snow burrows. Our Clan is the only one that can withstand the temperatures up here. That is why we could never accept kittypets or rogues into the clan, even if we wanted to. Now we must return to camp. There is something every new apprentice must achieve before they can have their second training session," he said, bounding back up the mountain. Whitepaw shivered with excitement. Her real life was about to begin.