Chapter 27 - Liyue... again

Start from the beginning

"Right," you smiled back, "Would you like to come? I'm sure they'll want to see you as well."

You could tell how hesitant Scaramouche was just from his expression. You couldn't blame him, he was indeed seen as a "bad guy" to your brother. Which was true to an extent. But Lu Wen didn't think that. Or she did and she just didn't want to tell you. Perhaps she only wished to keep you from the harsh truth to avoid you getting hurt. She was such a good friend.

After seeing his reaction to the question, you try again, "It'll be fine, we'll just pop in, say hi, then we can continue doing what we were doing. Easy as that."

Your attempt to reassure the man in front of you seemed to work, since his expression had relaxed a bit.

"Alright. But if things go south, I'm leaving and I'll be taking you with me." Scaramouche responded.

You laughed, "Fine by me."

♢♢♢

Standing in front of the door to your best friend's house, you eagerly knocked on the door. Scaramouche stood a few steps behind you, as if he was nervous. It's not like he was meeting your parents or anything. Well, it might as well have been. Lu Wen was your dear friend, but she acted more like a mother than anything.

The door creaked as if opened, revealing your best friend. She looked all dolled up, was she going somewhere important?

"Y/N! Y/N's boyfriend! What a surprise!" Lu Wen yelled, embracing you in a welcoming hug.

You turned to look at the Harbinger behind you. He had a look of annoyance on his face, as if being referred to as someone's boyfriend bothered him. You were sure it was because he didn't like standing in someone's shadow, so it made sense why he'd react like that.

"We were in town and decided to visit! Where's Tobi?" You asked.

Lu Wen pointed outside, "He's out playing with some friends. I'm sure he'll come back soon! Come in, come in!"

The two do you entered the house, it was quite clean, but there were dirty dishes on the table. You wanted to ask why she was so dressed up but you held back.

As if she read your mind, Lu Wen looked down at her dress, "I actually just had dinner with my boyfriend, which is why I'm all fancy today." She giggled. You had forgotten she'd been in a serious relationship for about 3 years now. You were thoroughly surprised they weren't married yet.

"Speaking of!" She sits down at the dark wooden table, "How are you two? Is it serious?~"

You were quite flustered and taken aback at the question.

"It's very serious." Scaramouche piped in, glancing over to you, which made you quickly turn your head. The fact that he said it in such a serious tone made you want to laugh.

Lu Wen practically squealed, "Aww! How sweet! It must be so nice to travel freely with someone you love so much!" She leaned back in her chair, "One day, if me and my love get married, I'd love to travel all of Teyvat with him." She sighed.

You glanced over to Scaramouche, who seemed to be deep in thought, as if something Lu Wen said struck something within him.

Scaramouche couldn't help but think of the statement Lu Wen had made. While she was under the assumption that you and him were simply traveling the world together, that wasn't necessarily true. Your relationship was way more complex and complicated than anyone could ever know.

You two went through so much, and yet there you were.

He gave you a head nod and a quick gesture, informing you that he was going to step out for a second. Perhaps he just wanted to leave you and Lu Wen to catch up, or maybe he had a lot on his mind.