「 I Love You 」

Start from the beginning

"This lake is pretty during the day, but I should've expected it'd be way more stunning at night." You gazed out into the water currently twinkling under the bright moon and stars. "It's breathtaking."

The gentle breeze, and soft scent of flowers, added to its serenity.

"You are."

You resisted a gasp.

Spinning, you addressed the boy who had snuck up behind you.

"Ren? You should've said something if you were here!"

"Sorry, sorry. I lost the opportunity."

Your inhaled deeply as he chuckled.

"Great. Now I'm struggling to catch my breath because of you."

His palm found its way to your cheek. The pad of his thumb caressed your skin, burning it in its wake. "My lady." His tone, his passionate gaze, heated your heart all the same. "I had no idea I had that kind of effect on you."

Whether it be the proximity or you'd realized the misleading connotations behind what you uttered earlier, you stuttered, pathetically. "It's because you startled me!"

"Really?"

"R—really." You avoided his spellbinding blue eyes. "This time, at least."

He hummed. Your pulse quickened. "So you're implying I typically leave you breathless for another reason?"

You couldn't deny that either. "Stop teasing me."

This time, he stiffened, eyebrows rising on his forehead.

"I'm a huge fan of yours, and you know that. The smallest of glances, your passionate songs. . . I'm weak to all of it. Getting acquainted with the Ren Jinguji is a fantasy. But, like I keep reminding you, we're co-workers. I didn't become a music arranger to fangirl to my heart's content over whichever celebrity I happen to work with. I'm doing my all to maintain my professionalism but you continue to half-heartedly flirt with—treat me—like a fan whose sole purpose here is to squeal and melt in your arms. Frankly, it's like you're looking down on me, and I hate it. If you refuse to take me seriously—"

"I am serious."

Your heart ceased beating altogether. In replace of Ren's usual smirk was a smouldering stare you'd never encountered. His pure, unadulterated sincerity was reflected, only the luminescent moon above to serve as a witness.

"You appear have the wrong idea of me, Lady, but I have been. For a while now. It's an honour in and of itself that you cherish me as fondly as you do. I owe a lot to your kindness. When I deemed all hope was lost, and nearly closed off my heart to music again, you gave me the push I needed to go forward. You and the rest of our fans have been my emotional anchor for longer than I can remember. Far from looking down on you—I fully recognize and respect you. The other day, when the Little Lamb presented me and Ikki a snippet of the song you're both working on, that admiration grew. You're amazing, Lady."

Was it possible to blush this hard?

"If anything," he said, utilizing his forefinger and thumb to tilt your chin to close quarters, "you're the one not viewing me in a serious light. Constantly brushing my declarations aside, with no remorse. When will you realize just how important, how irreplaceable, you've become to me?"

"Jinguji-san mentioned all that?" Haruka's astonishment radiated over the line.

You nodded, in spite of the fact that she couldn't witness it. "Otoya asks me to hang out at every given opportunity too. The other day we even went out for crepes. . ."