Chapter 6

Hunter's door slams close and chains clink against the stone floor. He's in chains. In his own room.

Hunter scowls and kicks a stack of books over. Loose papers spill all over the carpeted floor as he paces back and forth. The jingling chains connected to the door scrape against his desk and bed as he goes up to his window.

The crisscrossed fencing has been reinforced with glass, and by giving it a push, Hunter discovers that it's been glued shut, most likely with magic.

With a yell, he spins and punches the nearest thing, which is his wardrobe. His fist easily bounces back from the wooden closet. Again, it's probably magicked to be more resistant. Hunter wouldn't be surprised to find out that his entire room had been baby-proofed for him not to hurt himself.

The wardrobe door swings open to reveal his golden guard attire. His face is reflected in his helmet, which Hunter promptly throws to the floor. The matching mask (his spare) which hangs on the wardrobe door itself soon joins it.

Is it a mask, or a helmet?

Ed's first words to Hunter replay in his mind. Guilt washes over him as he remembers the last look he got of him. Sure, he was acting brave and cool about it, but Hunter could tell that he was terrified.

Lifting his fist up again, Hunter almost has another go at the wardrobe, but stops when he hears chirps coming from the window.

"Little Rascal?" Hunter rushes towards the bird, who is fluttering outside. "Aw, I'm sorry, it's locked with magic." He sighs as Rascal manages to perch on the edge of the windowsill. The palisman presses their beak against the glass, and Hunter meets them with his finger. They chirp in a way that almost sounds sad, and Hunter crumbles.

"I'm sorry I couldn't take care of you." His voice breaks. "Go back to the human. You don't deserve me." Rascal tilts their head, confused. "Go!" Hunter turns and walks back to his wardrobe. Pressing his eyes shut, he waits until he can no longer hear their chirps.

*****

"I see you're ready."

Hunter sits up as fast as a bolt of lightning. Belos stands in the frame of his door, maskless.

"My apologies, uncle, I didn't hear you come in." He stands up from his bed and brushes down his uniform.

Belos's face is set in a disgruntled expression. "Come. Take a walk with me. It's time we talked." He unlocks the chain around Hunter's foot before sliding his arm around his shoulder.

"So," Belos starts as he leads Hunter through a corridor. "You disobeyed orders and sneaked out. And after I disciplined you, you ran away back to that boy. Why?" The question hangs in the air.

Hunter swallows nervously. "He's my friend."

"'Friend'? What do you need a friend for?" Belos says incredulously.
"I dunno." Hunter shrugs and averts his gaze to the polished granite floor. "Someone to talk to."

"There are hundreds of coven members you can talk to. And what about me?" Belos flashes him a smile, and in that moment, Hunter felt hope. Hope that the figure he had once known was back. The smiling, kind figure that brought him in and protected him.

But the moment vanishes as soon as he notices his condition had gotten worse. The icky green band has inched further along Belos's face.

"It's not the same." Hunter looks down.

"Hm. Yes, sure, having a friend can be nice. But you can also grow too attached. I fear you've become vulnerable, Hunter. Weak, even. Like you'd do anything for this boy."