Chapter 15 | Ghastly Aftermath

En başından başla

PROFESSOR KENDRICK opened the door from inside the office before Professor Rhyb managed to turn the knob

PROFESSOR KENDRICK opened the door from inside the office before Professor Rhyb managed to turn the knob. His gray shirt was a bit wrinkled and his black knit tie loosened at the neck. But he regained the appearance of serenity when everyone around them was less composed. He wiped his glasses using a monogrammed handkerchief and stepped aside.

"Please, come in. I had checked on a few papers and was just about to leave."

The office wasn't that big, just wide enough for a large black desk, just long enough for three tall black bookshelves, each one crammed with hundreds of well-worn books. But it was comfortable and even welcoming—not like what Clara had imagined of a messy workspace a busy professor would have. There was a rug in the center of the room, and a wide window looking east at the redwoods. Now, at dusk, the forest had an ethereal, almost lavender hue.

Professor Kendrick exited and closed the door behind him. Professor Rhyb sat down on one of the two maroon desk chairs and motioned for them to take the other. As Emir guided her to sit, she surveyed the framed pieces of art, jigsawed into every spared inch of the wall. Most of them were varying degrees of detail.

Clara took a deep breath, wondering where to begin. It was an inevitable case that they would be asking her about the magic they had just witnessed. And word might even spread like a wildfire. Days would come when the only thing the students could talk about was her.

"This isn't your office, professor, so why are we here?" Emir broke off the silence.

"Whatever we talk about will be safe here, Your Royal Highness. My office is unfortunately unavailable right now," Professor Rhyb said and an exasperated sigh fled from his mouth.

Emir didn't raise any more objections. He whispered something to Maxwell, the other listening intently. And whatever he said sent Max in an urgent step outside this room.

"That thing earlier is not the least bit flashy. And it could have gotten its attention," Emir hissed, stressing out how bad of an idea what took place was. And he seemed to be referring to something he didn't think of specifying.

"I'm afraid it did." Professor Rhyb stood up and went to the farthest bookshelf. He pulled down a thick book with a dusty red cover and brought it back to the desk. Clara recalled where she saw that book when her mind took her back to the late-night library heist with Holly last night. He flipped the book to a certain page and Emir went beside him, having his share of the view of something interesting.

"It's this, isn't it?" The sage asked and Emir answered with a low hum. Then he turned the book right side up in front of her. It was the same image as what she saw in Blaire's library. A weird diagram, the halves of the sun and moon joined together.

From standing beside the sage, Emir walked up to her and kneeled on one knee until their eyes were leveled. The cold rush from his fingertips tickled Clara's skin the moment their hands came in contact, with his caging hers.