Proving His Worth

Start from the beginning

This was not home. Here he was not safe.

Normally, he loved being the center of attention. But at this moment, he simply wanted to hide away. He wanted to hide behind a pair of large white sleeves that would wrap themselves around him.

Whaaat???? White sleeves?? Wrapped around me? Where did THAT come from? Pull yourself together Wuxian!

"I-I mean......it's.......I'm fine." Wei Ying stuttered and watched Zewu-jun return to the stage.  He looked over at the younger jade brother and saw something in his light amber eyes. Was that concern he saw behind the cold gaze? Was the Great Hanguang-jun actually worried about him?

Wei Ying shook his body and tore his eyes away from the intense stare boring into his soul. He did not want his prize fighting partner holding back during their fight. So, Wei Ying put on a smile of confidence and skipped over to his waiting challenger for the final battle.

"Ready?" Wei Ying asked the large man standing in front of him. He breathed deeply and thanked Zewu-jun for the herbal tea. He was feeling better already.

"Let's make this look good, huh? I have a Lan I need to impress." Wei Ying chuckled.

The man, whose name was Wen Ping towered over Wei Ying.  The brawny man was a distant cousin to Wen Rouhan and had muscles on top of muscles. He gave his scrawny looking opponent a look of disgust and irritation. 

To everyone watching, this looked to be a fight between a bunny and a lion. To Wei Ying, it was a fight that was already over.

Wei Ying took one last look at the expressionless man standing atop the stage. Pointing his sword at the jade he called out, "I'm coming for you, Hanguang-jun!"

Wen Ping attacked first, his sword taking the direct route and aiming directly for Wei Ying's chest. It was an easy enough move to dodge and Wei Ying did it with humorous style. He spun to the right, coming around to his opponent's back and slapped the large man on his buttocks with the flat side of his sword.

"Sorry, friend. But you're as slow as a snail in molasses!" Wei Ying taunted.

The crowd cheered, filling Wei Ying's ears with a sound he craved to hear. His heart beat faster, his steps agile and light. The larger man turned. Wei Ying could see the anger in his reddening face.

"Why you little maggot!" Wen Ping roared. He charged towards Wei Ying with a growl in his throat.

"That's it!" Wei Ying said encouragingly. "I can almost feel your frustration! Makes you seem even more fierce!

Wei Ying quickly avoided the next sword slice, leaping high into the air. His left boot pushed off of Wen Ping's massively broad shoulder when the man leaned into his attack and sent the unsuspecting man stumbling forward.

"You're pretty good, Wen Ping. But, I think I need to end this so I can go up there and claim my prize."

Wei Ying looked up at the stunned jade and gave him a wink. He smiled as Hanguang-jun's hand gripped his sword. His heart beat faster as the young man wrapped his long delicate fingers around the carved hilt. His sharp eyes also did not fail to notice the Second Jade's brother looking at him with a tilt to his head and one eyebrow raised in amusement.

Before Wen Ping could fully recover, Wei Ying reached out and twisted the brute's arm behind his back. The pressure had the giant standing on the tips of his toes. With a swift kick to his challenger's rear, Wei Ying forced Wen Ping to stumble feet away from him.

"Awww, thank you, friend! You're really helping me out here!" Wei Ying said kindly.

Wei Ying again looked over at his man in white. He saw a look of wonder on Hanguang-jun's perfectly handsome face and curiosity dancing in his captivating golden eyes. Wei Ying smiled a lopsided smile, one that caused the cold jade to blush again, and flipped his long ponytail over his shoulder seductively.

A loud gasp from the crowd brought Wei Ying back to the fight. And, just in time. Wen Ping's anger had gotten the best of him and his attack on Wei Ying was no longer a friendly duel.

Wen Ping's sword came flying down towards Wei Ying's back. Wei YIng raised his own sword behind his neck just in time to block the hit. The loud clang of metal against metal silenced the excited mass of onlookers.

Wen Ping's strikes were fueled with rage. Each slash was thrown with nothing but raw power. Wei Ying was no match for the man when it came to brute strength and he suddenly found himself on the defensive against his raging opponent.

The attacks were relentless. Strike after strike. Wei Ying struggled to stay standing. If he lost his footing now, he was done for. This was no longer a friendly exhibition. Wei Ying used his powerful dance moves to escape certain death but the tea that Zewu-jun had given him was wearing off.

His lungs struggled to take in enough air and his muscles were burning from the lack of oxygen. Wei Ying's mind was slowing down. He was having trouble anticipating Wen PIng's next move. He heard his mother's faint scream. But he couldn't look away. If he did, he would never dance again.

He had one last chance. But it was one he swore to his parents to never use outside of Yiling. Something he would never want his beautiful jade to see him use. If Hanguang-jun knew........he would kill Wei Ying for sure. Right here. Right now.

And so, he kept his promise.

Falling to his knees as Wen Ping rained down blow after blow, Wei Ying could only hold his spiritual sword above his head like a shield.  Silver eyes opened wide as his killer's weapon reached for the sky.  He watched as Wen Ping's blade flew towards him faster than a dragonfly's beating wing. Tensing every muscle in his tired body, Wei Ying waited for his world to end.

But it never came.

Instead, a sea of white blinded him. The blue streak of a sword flash sent Wen Ping flying to the ground. Wei Ying blinked hard. When he opened his startled eyes, he was looking into the face he had been staring at all day and a pair of flashing golden eyes.