Proving His Worth

Start from the beginning

Wei Ying used all his tricks to defeat each challenger. He was not willing to waste his time and energy playing around with unskilled obstacles that kept him from his goal. He had a young Twin Jade to beat.

Besides, he wanted Hanguang-jun to see exactly who he was going to be up against. He needed the young man in white to not hold back, to fight with everything he had. Wei Ying's heart pounded knowing that the ethereal man standing on the stage could very well be his equal.

As the intense competition continued, Wei Ying found his parents in the large crowd and saw them cheering for him quietly. His heart warmed. All he had ever wanted to do was make them proud. He wanted to show them exactly what kind of son they had raised.

One fueled by passion and driven with endless determination. One who had learned the lesson of showing compassion for the weak and granting mercy to the wicked. Wei Ying wanted them to know that he was no longer their little boy, but a man who could protect his clan and family.

He wanted to make them proud.

Seeing the love on his parents' faces was all the reward he needed in life. But, that didn't stop him from wanting to beat the so-called "Best Swordsman of their time". Being the best was something he prided himself in. Whether it was the best swordsman or the best cook, Wei Ying's high intellect usually gave him an advantage over most people his age. And now was his time to prove it.

Between matches, Wei Ying would often glance over at the raised stage area to peek at his jade in waiting. And, he was never disappointed.

Every time his silver eyes met with golden ones, their gazes locked in a heated battle before they even came face to face on the training field. Wei Ying couldn't wait to clash swords with the young man watching him with eagle eyes.

As the sun was setting behind the mountains, Wei Ying found himself only one fighter away from winning. The air was beginning to dampen and the breeze chilled his heated skin. Beads of sweat prickled against his honey-colored skin and a quick shiver curled down his spine.

The higher elevation was beginning to take its toll on his well-built body and Wei Ying wondered if he was allowed to take a break. He needed time to recoup from the effects of the thinner air here in the mountains.

When he saw Hanguang-jun's brother approaching him with steady steps, he stood tall, unwilling to show any weakness.

"Suibian." the older brother said followed by a bow. "Please, take this."

The matching jade to Wei Ying's attraction held out a small cup of herbal tea. The bitterness reached Wei Ying's crinkled nose like a rising tide.

"No.....no thank you........."

"You may call me Zewu-jun." Lan Xichen offered.

"No thank you, Zewu-jun." Wei Ying answered kindly.

"Please.  It will help you fight off the effects of our higher altitude and thin air." The older jade brother leaned in closer and whispered, "My brother noticed the signs. Please. Drink."

The First Jade once more raised the cup and smiled when Wei Ying graciously took it from him.

Hanguang-jun noticed he was having difficulty?

Wei Ying's heart warmed.

"Thank you." Wei Ying sighed and drank the contents in one gulp. He tried to hide the tiny tremors in his hands as he returned the cup to his host, not wanting to risk being disqualified from the competition.

"Would you like a short rest before continuing?" the older jade offered.

"NO!" Wei Ying exclaimed a little too loudly. He saw everyone's eyes turn towards him and he suddenly felt out of place.