I realised what I said. "Awh sorry mate," I know I'm funny-sarcastic most of the time, but I meant it. "I need you to come inside, your brothers' got somethin' for us."

"Really? What is it?" He looked intrigued. Hannah and I glanced at each other.

***

Dan was the first to enter the house (Besides the dogs, who barged in immediately) and held the door open for us. I called out:

"Wil!"

I heard no reply.

I glanced to the first to my left - the living room. He wasn't there. Hannah called out:

"Wilbur, where are you?"

- "Oh sorry, in here."

His voice came from the dining room - the room 2nd left in the main hallway but had a door connected to the living room. Dan and I came into the dining room through the living room shortcut, and Hannah went through the hallway entrance. Wilbur and Teo were both sat there practically staring the newspaper down. He and Teo couldn't get their faces any closer to the paper. What was on it that was so interesting that it made Wilbur, or even Teo, want to read it? I interrupted their reading:

"Wil? Teo?"

Teo looked up suddenly and elbow-nudged Wil. Wil spoke up: "Oh, hi dad."

"What'd ya need, kid? I heard you needed me..."

I came forward and pulled out a chair form the dining table and sat down. Dan brushed past me an took a seat. Hannah came forward. "Make it quick boys, I'll have to prepare lunch soon."

Teo sat up straight in his chair. "Come see this."

I looked at Wil who was holding the paper. He took one last look at it before ultimately passing it to me.

With Dan to my right peering over my shoulder I read through the main title.

EMPIRE AT WAR

GREAT BRITAIN DECLARES WAR ON GERMANY

Great Britain declares war on Germany after threatening Belgium and France on the western front. Australian troops offered, enlistees wanted . . .

"Britain's declaring war on Germany." Wil spoke up.

"I can see that," Dan looked at him. "And I'm sure Dad can read, too."

It's pretty obvious my boys try to act like me. Sometimes they try a little too hard.

"Actually," Teo's squeaky voice broke the small silence carried out by our own. "What does that have to do with us?"

"Straya's a part of the British Empire." I informed him.

-"Yeah," Wil continued on. "Haven't you noticed the union jack on our flag is just the British flag?"

Teo went silent for a moment. It went so silent I could hear the cogs in his head click and turn. "OOOOooooooohhhhhhh" He finally clicked.

"Teh" Dan rolled his eyes.

There was a silent second for the clock ticking 11:47am and the currawongs cawing outside from the dogs trying to chase them down. I randomly started counting the dust particles glistering in the sunlight. I got to a count of 7 when Hannah cleared her throat and broke the silence. "Um...Theodore, Wilbur, could ya come out into the kitchen and help put the groceries away?"

Wil and Teo reluctantly got up from their seats and followed Hannah into the kitchen through the kitchen-dining room doorway.

I held the newspaper up again and saw a section of the newspaper that stood out a bit: