"We haven't been together long enough for that," Kongpob smoothly rescues them, sliding a hand onto Arthit's forearm and tugging him out of Bright's grip. They settle on the couch together and Arthit holds out a hand for Kongpob to slide his fingers into.

"Oh, but look at you lovebirds! You're perfect for each other, we've been telling Arthit that for years, haven't we?"

Kongpob feels the discomfort radiating from Arthit, so he ducks his head and whispers into the juncture of his neck, "Shall we grab a drink, have a minute to ourselves and let them calm down?"

Away from prying eyes, Kongpob watches as Arthit relaxes. The worry melts from his eyes in stages as they settle at the bar and he doesn't move away when Kongpob's fingertips rest on the curve of his knee. Sipping their beers, side by side, everything feels like it should - just like it always feels, two best friends on a night out.

"So, who wore it worst?" Kongpob asks, leaning in and pointing to two guys in a small group nearby who have the same shirt on. They are at opposite ends of the gathering and are studiously avoiding each other as though it will somehow make it better that they both chose a gold lamé number that clings in all the wrong places.

Arthit splutters with laughter and inch by inch the tightness eases in Kongpob's chest, thankful that he's managed to awaken his friends excellent sense of humour, something he's missed lately. "Clearly," Arthit says, poking him in the shoulder, "it's the guy with the matching shoes, Kong! How could you Imply that there's any other correct answer?!"

It's Kongpob's turn to laugh, naturally leaning into his best friend like he always would. Arthit's hand is cupping his shoulder now and Kongpob has his head thrown back in unrestrained joy, when they are interrupted, both stiffening as they turn to see Namtarn standing nearby.

"Arthit! Kongpob!" She calls, far too familiar for someone they don't know all that well.

Kongpob feels the shift in Arthit's mood, but he let's him dictate the pace, smiling gently and curling a hand around his waist when he's prompted to.

"Namtarn, hi," Arthit surprises Kongpob, the brightness in his voice doesn't sound forced at all, "Have you joined a lane?"

Kongpob watches as they chat, pleased that Arthit is taking the lead and sounding much less intimidated than the last time they'd met. It helps that the whole time they're talking, his hand plays with Kong's where it's still resting on his friend's knee.

As Namtarn turns to order a drink, Arthit leans right in, breath ghosting over Kong's neck and making him shiver, "Are you okay with the PDA?"

Kong laughs softly, "You think this is PDA? Come on Arthit, you've seen me with my girlfriends!"

Arthit grumbles against his skin, lips touching gently, almost like a kiss and for a second, Kongpob wonders if it's intentional. But then Arthit speaks again and Kong forgets everything else, "So, what, you're ready for me to up my game? Really show her that we're together?!"

Kongpob hears the note of hysteria that's building in Arthit's voice and he worries that he's pushed him too far, when suddenly his friend surprises him, lifting his head to kiss his cheek, then nuzzling deeper into his side.

"Will you get a strike for me tonight, Kongpob?" His voice is loud enough for Namtarn to hear, "Maybe bowl a turkey? Or.." he pauses and bats his eyelashes, head tilting, smile broad, "You could show off even more and play the perfect game?"

Knowing Arthit as well as he does, he can see the humour in his eyes as well as the unspoken challenge, so he smirks back at him and replies, "A perfect game for my perfect guy? I think I can manage that!" Then he leans in and hovers over Arthit's mouth, "But what will my reward be?"

He's just contemplating laying a full kiss on Arthit's mouth, when Namtarn clears her throat, drawing them apart . Arthit gives her a disgruntled look as though she has interrupted something serious between them and Kongpob's heart misses a beat. (It's just acting, he tells himself firmly).

Ignoring his errant thoughts, Kongpob smiles easily and says, loud enough for her to hear, "You can tell me later, when I've bowled the perfect game!" Then he winks at Arthit and picks up his beer. "Come on, I need to get started so we have time for our celebrations! See you there Namtarn."

"Whoa, Kongpob!" Bright can't keep the awe from his voice as he watches Kong's ball roll in a perfect arc, slamming into the pins and flattening them all. "It's like there's a fire in your belly tonight!"

Kongpob spins from the alley and stalks towards Arthit, letting his fingers trail over his thigh as he drops into the seat beside him after another impressive strike, "Wouldn't you like to know why, Bright!"

Arthit giggles nervously beside him, letting Kongpob tug him into his side and whispering in his ear, "Seriously Kong, how are you doing this? I know you're good, but I've never seen you bowl like this before."

A moment later, Kongpob realises that he should have been more thoughtful before he replied, but sadly, he hadn't been.

His whispered, "I have to impress the ladies somehow!" falls flat and Arthit tries to extract himself from his hold, until he grasps that Kongpob is not planning to let him go, then he goes limp in his arms and fails to react to anything else Kong says or does. "Arthit, please, I know.."

"You're up, Arthit!" Em calls out cheerfully, and then Kongpob has to let him go, despite his reluctance.

Under the pretext of helping him choose the best ball, he slides himself along the length of Arthit's back and apologises earnestly, trying to make his best friend smile his beautiful grin and forgive him.

He's rewarded with a wry smile and a soft whisper, and Arthit reminding him that they are not actually dating so, "Really, Kongpob, I'm just fine!" And then Kongpob feels like an absolute idiot for thinking about unrealistic and impossible things, his head feeling heavy and messed up as though the two beers he's drunk tonight were actually hard liquor.

And then a moment later it kind of feels worse.

He kind of feels like he's lost a little piece of himself. That Arthit has stolen it away, if the pain in his heart is actually real (which he rather suspects it is).

And though he tries to reason with himself that Arthit is still his best friend, something about the way he had brushed Kongpob off with a generic platitude is gnawing at him. And it's not fine! It's not!

Because, actually, maybe, deep down, he wishes they were.

Dating, that is.

And that's kind of a terrifying thought!