ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 3

Start from the beginning

"Uh... I must get going, Drain—"

"Dain." He corrected.

"Oh, yes. Dain, that's what I meant," Ari bit the inside of his cheek slightly, feeling bad. "I have to get going, it's getting dark."

"You can always stay with me. It'll be safer than finding your way off the island at night." Dain says, soon, smiling softly. His freckles always seemed to pop out when he smiled.

Ari shook his head, slowly stepping back, away from Dain and the dragon. "Thank you, but I have to leave. I can find my way." Ari reassured him, returning the faint smile. It was more of a nervous, awkward smile.

"Oh, yes. Understandable. You have much more to do than stay. I wish you good luck, fellow rider." Dain says, bowing slightly in front of the hunter.

He watched as Dain bowed, chuckling softly to himself. As he stood back up, some of his hair was in his face, making Ari smile a bit more to himself.

The hunter gave a gentle bow back, walking back into the forest, finding his way to his father's boat.

If he stayed any longer, his father would soon worry... That's what Ari liked to think.

Ari would like to think that his father did truly care about him, not just his hunting skills. There's a difference about caring for someone, and caring for their ability. There were moments when his father did care for him, but his mother would care for him even more.

See, Ari's father was a cold-hearted man, but he learned how to love. His wife melted that ice around his heart, being able to get to know him. Ari would like to believe that his true father was still in there somewhere, waiting to be set free. Ari always tried to push past the words his father said to him, what he called him and thought of the good things about his father - Spoiler alert, there isn't much.

In the distance, the small boat had candles lit around the railing, being able to navigate on the boat. Ari ruffled up his hair and grabbed a few arrows, hiding them in fallen leaves and in trees, needing proof that he did try and shoot at a Wyvern. Once he did that, he made his way down the hill, to the boat.

He jumped onto the boat, seeing his father sharpening a few daggers and axes. He looked up, having a stone-cold face.

"Ah, my boy, how did it go?" He asked. Ari made his way to him, taking his bow off his back, and unclasping the quiver.

"As usual, father." Ari decided to keep it vague, sitting down across from him.

Ari leaned back, looking out on the ocean. For some reason, his mind wandered to Dain. He was an odd one, loving dragons, flying through the air with them. How would that feel? Would it feel the same as falling through the sky, or different? How high could you go? How different would it feel compared to sailing?

Many questions, but no one can answer them. Why wasn't that dragon... Valerian attacking Dain? It seemed so peaceful and unaware of his presence. Was it drugged with those herbs he gave it? Is it true that they aren't here to harm you?

Was his mother truly—

"My boy, are you listening to me?" Girth's voice ruined Ari's thought process.

"Oh- Yeah, I am." He lied, clearing his throat, looking over at the old man. He braided beard was long, having strands of gray hair. His thick, brown eyebrows were furrowed, staring over at Ari. He always had a cold expression, never giving any warmth.

"Now, as I was saying..."

The colorful Wyvern flew through the air, over the fluffy, thick clouds, seeing the big shining sun. The sky was painted of bright pinks and oranges, showing off its beautiful sky. The sun was slowly

Dain's hair silver hair flowed in the breeze, pushing strands out of his face. He felt free, away from the ground. He let go of her saddle, taking a deep breath in, smelling the sweet air. Dain closed his eyes, listening to the wind hit Valerian's wings, pushing her up as she flew above the clouds.

The rider felt the feeling of grace when he flew in the air, being in the sky was his favorite thing about life. Yes, he had his plants and family, but there was just something about having the deep breeze making his eyes water, flying through the clouds.

Dain leaned forward, petting the side of Valerian's head. "Peaceful, isn't it, my friend?" Dain asks, feeling Valerian purr in response.

"I know, feeling the wind through your wings, must be wonderful..." Dain says softly, wanting nothing more than this moment. He didn't want it to change. Ever.

Valerian soon leaned left, turning into the clouds. The short boy laughs softly, grabbing onto the small horn in the middle, making sure he didn't fall off, locking his feet in the stirrup.

Her scales made the turn smoother, keeping Dain from falling into the ocean below them. Valerian's turn was graceful, and swift.

"You get better and better each time, Val!" Dain exclaims, praising the dragon.

Valerian straightens herself, no longer turning. The clouds were white, feeling like fog. Dain couldn't quite feel the clouds, but he imagined them feeling like big fluffy pillows.

Dain couldn't get enough of the sky, gliding through the clouds. It cleared his mind. "This is what it feels to be free, Val. Freedom is... marvelous." The young rider says, chuckling softly as he slowly stared to stand on Valerian's stirrups, keeping his legs steady. He spread his arms out, taking a deep breath in, having the wind make his eyes start to water.

"What do you say, Val? Should we pay Ma and Pa a visit?" He asks, hoping she could hear him through the quick, yet, gentle breeze. 

 ~⨋~