CHAPTER FIVE

FIVE | LIAR

A day had passed since the gate had been resealed

A day had passed since the gate had been resealed. Kiara had blacked out after the gate was closed, but someone had taken her to safety--in the MP base within Wall Sina. A bright white light burned through her eyelids, waking her from her long slumber. Her eyes fluttered open and allowed the light to flood her vision, blinding her momentarily. "Finally, you're awake," a familiar voice spoke out. 

"I'll call for a nurse," the man's voice stated. She wanted to turn her head to take a look at who had just spoken to her, but, her entire body was burning from the soreness of fighting the previous day. She couldn't even turn her neck. She heard the door to the room she laid in open then close again. Her ears were attentive to the man's footsteps, tracing it as she heard him grow closer to her. 

He finally entered her field of vision and when she processed his face, her heart nearly stopped beating. "Never thought I'd see you again," the man told her. He was the same man she had seen the night she had murdered her father. And instead of imprisoning her, he had helped her clean up the mess. He had protected her. 

He was of a pale tone, and his contrasting jet black hair only made him look more ghosty. His pale appearance didn't compare to how pale Kiara grew upon seeing him. "Are you here to kill me?" She croaked out. 

He couldn't help but snicker. "No, I came to make sure the cadets had taken you back to base, safely. I saw you perform yesterday in Trost. You are quite talented in what you do, Blackbeak."

She gulped. She must've looked like a crazed murder to him. Especially after going on a blind rampage killing titans out in Trost all alone. "Look, I don't know who you are or what you want... but, please, what you saw that night--" Kiara began to plead with the man about the night of the murder of her father. 

"Don't worry about that, your secret is safe with me," the man paused, "and I don't want anything. I've done worse."

Kiara was quiet for a moment. "They never questioned me about my parents after that night, was that you?" She asked, realizing none of her officers had batted an eye after her parents came running in demanding her resignation from the cadets. 

"Told them they disowned you," he informed her.

Kiara placed her forearms by her side and tried to push herself to sit up, she winced at the pain. "Give it a few hours and you'll be able to walk again, you're body is still handling the whiplash from the flight you took with your ODM gear." 

She laid her head back down on the pillow, eyeing the man suspiciously. She didn't know why he was being so kind yet nonchalant about everything. "Thank you..." she muttered under her breath. 

"I'll take you to see your friend in a bit, the nurse should be in any minute to check on you," the man told her as he spun on his heel to leave.

He was nearly out the door when Kiara spoke up. "Who are you?"