“Vincent!”

Was he even in here?  Maybe he hadn’t come in here after all.  What if I was just getting myself lost?

Happy thoughts, happy thoughts. . . .            

How the hell was I supposed to think of happy thoughts when I was awake at eight o’clock in the morning with a missing cousin and I was stuck in the woods? 

The glass was half full this morning, yeah!

“Vincent!” My voice rose hysterically and crows flew out of some trees.  I slapped a hand to my mouth, muffling a shriek that escaped. 

I hated crows.

They were scary.

I slowed to a walk, clutching my side.  Dammit.  A cramp had pulled me down.  Wow, I was so unfit.  Or maybe I’d just run really far.  Yeah, that was it!

“Vincent, where are you?” I screeched.

I came to a stop as I heard footsteps.  I turned slowly, praying to God that it wasn’t a bear.  If it was a bear I was probably going to die before it even got to me.  Dying from fear was possibly right?  Oh gosh, what if it was a coyote?  Oh my—

I groaned as my eyes locked on a rabbit.

A rabbit.

Why was it always a rabbit?

It’s okay, I thought to myself.  I’ll just look for a few more minutes and then I’ll go home.  Aunt Jill will make me some hot cocoa . . . I can chill with the fam, call the cops for Vincent.  Yeah, great plan.

I began walking again, slowly.  I looked around fervently, searching for any sight of my favorite little boy.  But there was nothing besides trees, trees, trees, and more trees.  I felt a panicked cry shake me.  What if none of us could find him?  What if Vincent never came back?  “Vincent, honey!” I shouted.  “I’ll get you a stuffed animal!  Come on, hon!”

I paused.  Why was it so cold?  Five minutes ago I was not shivering, and now I was freezing despite my sweat shirt.  True, I’d been running, but still.  It was odd.

I carried on for a few moments before I spotted the source of the drop in temperature: a brook. 

Well, that kind of explains it.  Wasn’t it cooler around water?

I squinted as I saw something near the brook’s edge.  It was a form that looked oddly human.  I took a step forward.  Was it just me or did it look a little like . . . “Vincent!” I shouted, hurrying forward, growling in frustration as trees blocked my way.

Vincent turned.  As he did, he slipped on something and toppled backwards in the water.  “Bri!” he shrieked before a huge splash blocked out the rest of his cry.  Within seconds he disappeared under the water.

I froze.  Oh.  My.  Gosh.  “Vincent!

Without even stopping to think, I rushed forward, hurling myself into the brook after him.  My eyes popped open as I searched frantically for him, willing myself to find him before it was too late.  My eyes burned as I twisted around.  The brook was so filthy.  Dirt kept getting in my eyes.

I lurched back as I spotted him a few feet away, attempting to doggy paddle his way to the surface.  Vincent didn’t know how to swim.  I pushed forward, weighed down by my clothes and shoes.  Why hadn’t I at least taken off my shoes before jumping into water?  Why hadn’t I thought about the consequences? 

I grabbed Vincent by his torso, pulling him up.  Vincent grabbed hold tightly, his tiny fingers clawing into my arm.  I struggled to bring us both toward the surface, but it proved too difficult.  With his thick clothes, his army boots that he decided to throw on before running away, plus my weight, we didn’t really stand a chance.