O'Neill's voice wobbled as he whispered, "My God...They are beautiful. She-" he tapped Kyra's face-"looks just like Kenna did when she was a baby."

"I can see that." Loki exited the photos and tucked his phone back into his pocket. "And I don't know when McKenna will be home, so it's probably best if you leave now."

"Please, talk to her for me? Tell her how sorry I am."

"I'm afraid I cannot do that."

"Tell me, how long have you been together? And tell me she is happy."

"We're married five years in January and yes, I do believe she is happy. I've done my best to make certain she is."

"Good. She deserves to be happy."

"I know she does." Loki gestured to the dark blue pickup truck parked in the driveway. It was the only car there, as Loki's black Mustang was in the garage. "Now, you should probably go."

O'Neill drew in a shaky breath. "I just want to tell her how sorry I am." He looked up at Loki with teary faded blue-gray eyes. "And I am sorry. I thought I was doing the best thing for her. I honestly did. Tell her that, please."

"I'm not even certain I'm going to tell her you came back," Loki told him in a low voice. "You should just leave her be."

O'Neill sniffed, swiping at one eye with an impatient hand. "I need to see her. To talk to her. I don't..." his voice broke, so he cleared his throat and tried again. "I don't have a lot of time left and I wanted... wanted to tie up all my loose ends."

That curdled in Loki's gut. The man dropped out of McKenna's life, chose to stay away for all of those years, only to come back because he was dying? "So, you've come back to burden her with guilt because you were too much the coward to face her before? It's only now you've the-no. I won't let you do that to her." He shoved open the front door and took a backward step up onto the sill. "You stay away from her now."

"You can't keep me from her. She has to talk to me eventually."

Loki gritted his teeth. "I can, and I will. Trust me, you do not wish to cross me and you do not wish to challenge me."

"She's my daughter."

"And she's my wife." Loki folded his arms over his chest. "And before you even think to threaten, know this-there is nothing you can do to harm me, Midgardian. But-" He held out one hand and wiggled his fingers. In the palm of his hand sat a small flame, one that gave off no heat to him-"you do not wish to cross me."

O'Neill stared at the fire. "How did you do that?"

"Because I am a god."

"A god?" O'Neill arched one graying sandy brow.

"If you do not believe me, simply Google my name. You'll find out exactly who and what I am and why you would be better off simply drifting out of her life again."

"Daddy?" Selig appeared at his side, peering out at O'Neill. "Who is that man, Daddy?"

"He's just leaving, Sel. Are your brother and sisters still sleeping?"

"Selig?" O'Neill made to crouch down, but Loki stopped him by ducking and pressing a hand to his thin chest.

"No. You need to leave now." Without looking down at Selig, Loki added, "Go back inside, Sel, and check on your brother and sisters for me, all right?"

"Yes, Daddy." Confusion wove through Selig's voice, but he did as he was told and as soon as Loki was certain he was out of earshot, he stepped back onto the porch, his hand still firm on O'Neill's chest, and tugged the door shut behind him.