Chapter Two: Darkness

"Elinoire of Valhallan," Azriel repeated later that day to Rhysand and Cassian, the former at his desk, the latter sprawled on the couch. "The Golden Thorn herself,"

Cassian snorted, "She's tiny,"

"And?" said the high lord, leaning back in his chair, massaging his temples.

"Well I mean surely she's not the one they mean. Some fierce and cold-hearted assassin, she barely put up a fight, right Az?"

"I didn't give her a chance, she was knocked out when I took her," Azriel murmured, throwing himself into the chair opposite Rhys' desk.

Cassian snorted, "Lucky you,"

"Cas stop baiting him. Don't you have a newfound mate to attend to?" Rhys was back to rubbing his temples.

"She's with her sisters and Mor and I was told in no uncertain terms that us males were not welcome," standing and stretching, Cassian shot his high lord a smirk. "The same thing I'm sure you were told,"

Azriel's head shot up, "I don't want Mor or Elain anywhere near-"

"Calm down brother, they're at the River house with Feyre and the little one," Rhys fixed Azriel with a stern stare, their conversation regarding the youngest Archeron sister on Winter Solstice hanging in the air between them.

Sensing the tension from the two, Cassian came and sat in the other chair next to Azriel, putting a hand on his brother's arm, "I can come with you, next time you go down there,"

Azriel shook his head, "Spend time with your mate Cas, this burden is mine to bear,"

"Always so formal,"

He shrugged, "I'm not mated, you both are. You have other things to occupy your time with,"

Rhys sighed, "Brother you've been throwing yourself into your work as of late. Aside from this attack on Mor, it's been relatively quiet,"

"Well what else would you have me do? What else am I to this court but jailer and torturer?" Azriel stood and began to pace.

"Is that what you really think?" Rhys stared at him, obvious pain in his eyes.

The shadowsinger paused and turned to survey the male he had served willingly for centuries. The male he loved so fiercely. The male he would lay down his life for. The same male who had in no uncertain terms told him to stay away from the person who could bring him the most happiness. And the high lord who had watched him turn into a ruthless killer, the angel of death who would stop at nothing to protect the night court. Even torture and kill people who after the fact they had found out didn't deserve it. Those deaths weighed on him every day. The mistakes they had made over the years. The lives he had taken.

Azriel sighed, "I have work to do,"

And without another look at his brothers, he stalked from the room, his shadows following him. Cassian glances at Rhysand.

"What happened between you two?"

Rhys shrugged but gave no answer, staring at the spot Azriel had stood in moments ago, unable to get the new images out of his mind. An obvious message of just how unhappy his brother had become.

~

The Golden Thorn herself, Elinoire of Valhallan's entire body ached, the cold chilling her bones, the iron rendering her arms useless. Her ice blonde hair had fallen out of its braid and now was a matted mess down her back. Her mother would be horrified at the state of her, especially in the near see through tattered nightgown she had been in for... how long had it been? The dark was all consuming but thankfully her fae eyes allowed her to at least look around the bare cell. But bare it was. There was nothing around her, not even a sorry excuse for a bed for her to curl up on.