You silently observed them from across the dining table, and realized that was not going to happen. Emily, of course, was oblivious. She looked so innocent. She hadn't caught on to any of your father's crude remarks, or the way your brother was smirking at them, sure they were keeping it civil but this was probably because they didn't want to spook her. She wasn't family, after all, she could just up and walk away, unlike yourself. She didn't have to take it. They were probably going to ease her into it, have it not be a shock. Your father was right to assume that your brother really liked her, and was probably trying not to blow his chances with her for him. But that would only last for so long.

When they kept on drinking, though, the conversation grew less and less civil. You could see her start to be uncomfortable. So you made a spur of the moment decision "Hey, it's getting late. I've not had anything to drink, Emily, would you like me to drive you back home?"

"Hey!" your brother snapped "Nobody asked you to. Maybe she wants to spend the night. Mind your own business!" his voice was already slurring and you tried your level best not to grimace.

"Actually" Emily placed a hand gently over your brother's "My dad is expecting me back. We're not home for long and I promised him I'd spend at least part of my holiday weekend with him"

Emily politely said her goodbyes while you waited in the driveway. You threw your cigarette away when she came out of the house and gave her a small smile, gesturing for her to get in your car.

"Thanks so much for offering to drive me, Y/N! My dad would have driven here himself to get me otherwise, he doesn't feel comfortable with me taking cabs or even ubering this late at night"

"Your dad sounds nice" you couldn't help but point out. You'd have given anything to have that kind of father. Yours would have pimped you out had money ever been an issue, you reckon.

"Oh, he's the best. I love him so much. I wanted to leave earlier, but was worried your family would consider it rude of me. It's just... he's lonely, and it's Thanksgiving. I hate to know he's spending it all by himself"

"Oh?" you just realized, she had alluded to her having promised him to spend at least part of her holiday weekend with him. So her folks were divorced, then. You stole a glance at her. She definitely seems like the kind to have daddy issues. But maybe not the kind you had. Hers were probably just a result of her parents separating. She probably hadn't been able to spend quite as much time with her father as she'd wanted to, growing up. "Did your folks split up recently?". You didn't know what prompted you to be so nosey, you just wanted to see if you'd been right about it.

"No, actually" she sighed "They got divorced when I was 6. Mom got custody, even though she was the one to cheat. My stepdad made sure my dad got very little time with me. I'll never forgive him for it. I wish I could've stayed with dad. But now that I'm legal I can spend all the time I want with him" she cheered up "Mom isn't too happy about it, but I don't care. They've kept me away from him for far too long."

You blew out a breath "Woah. That's... too bad, Emily. Truly. I mean, I'd have given anything for my parents to get a divorce, but I realize that kids generally really suffer as a result. The way they kept you too apart was a really shit thing to do"

Emily furrowed her brows slightly "Yeah? Do your parents not get along?"

Sigh. She was so innocent. To you, it was all painfully obvious, all the digs your father took at your mom's expense during dinner, he did try to make it subtle, which was, again, only for your brother's sake, but still. "Yeah, uhm. They're really... not very compatible. How about you and my brother, huh? Is Derek treating you right? Lemme know so I can bust his balls, if not" you tried lightening the atmosphere a bit