Hi, I'm Takahashi Ran

I have always been a fan of volleyball. With my 4 older brothers, fraternal quadruplets, being so good at it, I have decided to be a player as well. It was something difficult for me to achieve due to my older brothers treating me like a princess. Playing in the mud or going home sweaty and dirty from the playground was something I enjoyed. No, I was not a princess, I am not a damsel in distress, and I do not want to be treated like one.

I still remember the first person who treated me like I was something other than a princess. I was 6 at the time and we just got home from my brothers' volleyball practice. A family of 5 moved in next door and my dad informed me that they have a little girl that I can be friends with. While I do like to play dolls, my interest at the time was getting better at volleyball. Without the support of my brothers and father, it was something I struggled to do. I have no support at home regarding my hobbies since my mother died when I was little.

That evening, my father invited the Takahashi family. Mr and Mrs. Takahashi are a lovely couple and they have 3 children, Rui, Ran, and Riri. Rui and my brothers (Kenzo, Aro, Ichiro, and Daisuke) hit off immediately after Rui saw the volleyball lying around the living room. Mrs. Takahashi tried introducing Riri to me, but she was a bit shy. Ran, on the other hand, was glaring at me.

Mrs. Takahashi, "Ran-kun, stop glaring at our host, introduce yourself"

The so called boy introduced himself, "Hi, I'm Takahashi Ran, the next ace of the Japanese national volleyball team"

I smiled, "Nice to meet you, Takahashi-san, my name is Higurashi Aya"

The evening went well, although I did catch Ran staring a few times. I find Mrs. Takahashi to be such a lovely woman, I think my mom would've liked her. Rui and my brothers are going to be on the same team in school and they were very excited about it. Being a year and a half behind them, I excitedly told my dad that I want to be in Ran's team. Much to my dismay, he said that he's enrolled me to a gymnastic class. I was disappointed.

The year went by, I forced myself to attend the gymnastic class, but I end up skipping all the time. I would go to the nearby park and practice serving and setting for volleyball. That's where Ran found me.

I was wearing my leotard while practicing volleyball in the park. I would serve the ball to the net, run and pick it up, and repeat. I guess it was a weird site for him, seeing a girl in a gymnastic outfit practicing volleyball. He laughed.

"What are you doing, Higurashi-san?" he asked. I stopped and saw him with a grin on his face.

"I'm practicing" I answered.

"By yourself? Where are your brothers?"

"Somewhere" I answered, hitting another ball. This time I winced. My fingers were hurting. "Kuso.." I whispered. I sat on the sand and looked at my fingers, they were a bit red. I felt Ran sit next to me and looked at my fingers. He pulled something out of his shorts pocket and said, "Here, let me tape it up for you"

He taped my fingers as neatly as possible and told me to take a rest from practicing to let them heal. He showed me his fingers and they were taped too. "My brother said I'll get used to it once I get stronger, so it'll be the same for you" he told me. I looked at my fingers, they're feeling a little better. I smiled at him, "Arigatou, Takahashi-san"

"Ran.." he whispered, "call me Ran."
I smiled again, "Hai! Ran-kun, well, only if you call me Aya."

He smiled and nodded.

I took a couple of days off from practicing so my fingers would heal. I told my father that I have no interest in gymnastics and I've been skipping it. I apologized, but I did have to do a full week of dishes, which my brothers volunteered to do when my dad was not paying attention. From then on, while my brothers, Ran, and Rui have their own practice, I would wait for Ran at the park so that he could help me with mines. I have not convince my dad to let me join any team, yet. They would still treat me like a princess. Whenever I come home dirty and sweaty, they make sure that bath is ready, they would check me if I'm hurt anywhere and ask if I'm hungry. They know I practice with Ran, they know it makes me happy, and that was enough for them.