Chapter fourteen: Grief

Warning: angst

Sophia and Wanda looked around and saw nothing but an unbuilt house.

No Vision, no twins, no home.

Sophia's eyes started to wahl up with tears as she fell on the ground sobbing.

Wanda was quick to rush up to her and bring her into a hug.

"I know baby I know" Wanda said while rocking her daughter back and forth.

Wanda had her own tears in her eyes but she tried to seem strong in front of Sophia.

Sophia's sobs weren't getting quiet, she kept crying and crying into her mothers chest until she was gasping for air.

"Baby, breath"   "I ca- I can't" Sophia sobbed.

Wanda placed her right hand on Sophia's chest and her left hand on her back, she laid Sophia's back on her chest and breathed with her.

"Come on baby, breathe, in... out... " Wanda said softly while taking deep breaths with her.

After what seemed like forever Sophia could breathe normally again.

"Come on honey we have to go" Sophia looked at her mother with her red puffy eyes "Where?" she spoke in a very small voice barely above a whisper.

"Away from here, come here bubs" Wanda grubbed Sophia's hand while Sophia clinged onto her for dear life as they walked through the town.

The entire town was giving them looks, Wanda just covered Sophia's face with a hug and walked until they ran into Monica.

"They'll never know what you sacrificed for them"

"It wouldn't change how they see me. And you, you don't... You don't hate me?"

"Given the chance and given your power, I'd bring my mom back. I know I would"

"I'm sorry. For all the pain I caused"

"I know"

"I don't understand this power. But I will"

Sophia picked her head up and hugged Monica as tight as she could, taking Monica by surprise.

"Thank you for saving my brothers lives" she whispered in her ear.

"You don't need to thank me" she whispered back.

Sophia pulled away from the hug and smiled sadly at Monica.

"Goodbye, Monica" Wanda said as she and Sophia started to walk away

"Bye, Wanda. Good luck"

Wanda and Sophia flew away.

"All right, everybody, gather around. The pharmacy is the best spot for medicine. And evidence collection can begin in the hardware store, Miguel. Let's move. Monica!" Jimmy said, making his way towards her.

"Authority looks good on you, Jimmy"

"Where's Darcy?"

"Uh, something about 'debriefs are for the weak.' But, um, we can thank her for that" Monica said, looking at the soldiers putting handcuffs on Hayward.

Wanda and Spohia arrived at a small house in the mountains.

"Come on Soph lets get inside"   "Where are we?"

"This is our new home"

As the night came Sophia was getting ready for bed.

"Hey baby, why don't you go get some sleep?"