Chapter 11 - Shapeshifters

--------------------------------

Elena woke up in the middle of the night by Sookie's screaming. She gasped softly as she sat up, frowning in shock to see instead of Max the dog, Sam laying on his spot, completely naked.

"Sam?!" Elena asked in shock.

"What the hell are you doing here?!" Sookie snapped at the man.

"Nothing," Sam answered, clearing the sleep from his eyes. "Sleeping."

Sookie stared at him in horror, "Did you touch us?"

Sam looked at the blonde offended, "Hell no, I swear. Sookie, listen. Bill--Bill asked me to look after you and Elena while he was away."

"Did he ask you to do it buck-naked?" Sookie kept throwing questions at him.

"No, no."

"Sam, why--" Elena started but Sookie spoke up, glaring at Sam, "I want you out of here. Now."

"Listen, listen," Sam said, "I need to tell you something about me, something I've never told another person."

Sookie's glare disappeared and she stared at him in shock, "Oh, my God, it's you. You're the murderer."

Elena looked from her to Sam quickly as the man shook his head, "No, no--"

"Oh, my God, you killed my grandmother," Sookie said, "And Dawn."

Sam reached his hand forward but Sookie hit him. "Oh, my God, Sookie!" Elena gasped.

"Come on!" the blonde said quickly as she grabbed her hand and dragged her out of the bed, leading her into the bathroom, and she slammed the door shut.

Elena frowned as she stared at the floor. It didn't made any sense to her for Sam to be the killer. They heard footsteps and Sookie pulled Elena behind the door. The door cracked open and Max walked in.

"Max," Elena said in relief and the dog turned to them as the girls moved from the wall.

Elena gasped softly as Max disappeared and now Sam was in front of them instead. Elena and Sookie stared at him, stunned by what they just saw. 

"I'm not the killer, I swear," Sam promised, "I'm a shapeshifter."

"Shut the fuck up," the blonde said quietly.

--------------------------------

After Sookie gave Sam some of Bill's clothes, the three of them were outside on the porch. The girls were still processing what they saw.

"A shapeshifter?" Elena asked, "I didn't think that they are existing to be honest."

Sam sat on an armchair, "Yeah, well..." he gestured to himself and then lowered his hand. "And most of us refer to ourselves simply as shifters."