Chapter 5 - The Dear One

--------------------------------

With the sound of the alarm clock, Elena woke up. She stopped the ringing and sat up. She looked to her left side at the framed photo of herself with Dawn, smiling as the picture was taken by Sam.

Elena stared at it sadly for a moment before shaking her head, "New day," she muttered to herself. She got out from the bed and got herself ready for the day.

--------------------------------

Elena stepped out of her apartment just in time to see Mrs. Thompson walking over. She let out a sigh, "Mrs. Thompson, please, I'm really not in the mood to get threaten," she said in annoyance.

However to her surprise, Mrs. Thompson shook her head and smiled at her, "Oh you have nothing to worry about. I am so sorry for how I spoke to you all this time. I know you and that girl, Dawn Green, were really close friends, and I am so sorry for your loss. If you need anything, let me know."

Elena stared at her in complete surprise. "I, uh... Are you okay?"

"Oh, yes, why do you ask, dear?" Mrs. Thompson asked.

Elena was now more shocked, "No reason," she muttered, "I, uh, I have to go to work."

"All right, have a nice day," Mrs. Thompson said with a kind smile, "Don't work to hard." Elena nodded slowly and walked slowly past her. She walked down the hall and shook her head slightly, What just happened?

--------------------------------

Elena walked into the Merlotte in time for lunch hour to her shift. The second she stepped inside, she was greeted by a bone crushing hug from a redhead woman. "Oh!"

"Elena Collins, do you know how worried I was after Sam told me where you went to last night?" Arlene asked as she pulled away.

Elena looked slightly surprised, "Oh, uh..."

"I'm sorry for how I spoke last night," Arlene said, "You know how I am. I didn't mean to upset you."

Elena smiled a small smile and nodded, "I know. And it's okay."

"No, it's not," Arlene said, "Dawn was one of your best friends, and you cared a lot for her. And I go and say stuff like that. If you want to talk, I am here for you."

Elena nodded slightly, and smiled, "Okay, thank you."

"How was it?" Arlene asked quietly as she leaded Elena to the side. "I heard there's a lot of freaks. And people from Arkansas."

Elena fought a chuckle, "Uh, it was fine." Arlene raised an eyebrow, so Elena sighed, "Okay, that place was a bit freaky. Not going there for the third time, that's for sure."