chapter xxii: revealed

"let's go, toman!"

with mikey's battle cry, the fight commenced with the toman division captains running in the middle of the battlefield first. they were the first ones to clash with valhalla, gaining a slight advantage that boosts their team's morale.

throughout the brawl, kazua remained indifferent and continued to keep an eye on chifuyu and takemichi. baji's still unsighted, so there is no use for her to frantically rake her eyes over the crowd.

"if what takemichi told me that day were all true about what happened when the fight with valhalla broke out, then i will be able to save him." kazua thought. "i only pray that he didn't miss anything important for me to proceed. i'm already risking enough by letting baji stab himself to honor him for treasuring both mikey and kazutora."

"you dumbass! what the hell did you come here for? we're here to fight, dumbass!" mitsuya yelled from the distance after saving takemichi. "you're part of the 2nd division, damn it!"

kazua coincidentally caught sight of the two, just in time to see mitsuya punching another guy's jaw for heading towards takemichi. "ah, i should've taught him how to fight at least." she sighed through her mask, a little disappointed that takemichi doesn't know the basics of fighting. she couldn't blame him, though. he wasn't supposed to be caught up in all this in the first place. "i should take note of that for the future. i don't want that kid dying after going through all the trouble to save toman."

"kazutora!"

such a spiteful yell, full of pent-up frustration and anger. she knew exactly whose voice that came from, and her heart clenched at the agonized pain laced around his voice. he wasn't over it.

he never was, and the burning feeling stays within his heart.

"is this what you meant, kei?" kazua looks ahead of her, gazing at the blonde with pained eyes. "he's still hurting."

mikey was chasing after kazutora who was climbing a giant pile of crushed cars, successfully being lured in by the two-toned boy himself. 

right when kazutora stopped near the top, someone else from valhalla popped out from the grave of cars and sent a surprise kick towards mikey. he successfully blocked with his arms, but was sent back a little due to the impact. his coat flew out of his shoulders, revealing his shirtless figure as he landed on a car hood.

there's three of them now, all looking down on mikey with disdain.

"what the hell..." kazua had to look away, thankful that she has a mask on.

"what's wrong, mikey? you shouldn't be down on your knees like that."

"i'm surprised he managed to defend against that surprise attack."

"i'm sure it was just luck. with most guys, the rumors about 'em being strong are just that."

to say that mikey was pissed is an understatement. kazua can feel his annoyance radiating to the other side of the junkyard where she resided, and she shivered at the feeling.

"kazutora, seriously? you can't even fight one-on-one?"

"that's to be expected." kazua dropped her legs on the edge of the car, planting her palms on the space of the hood behind her to lean back and relax. she craned her neck from left to right and decided to look for chifuyu and takemichi again. "thank goodness for their notable features that i can easily find. now, where the hell is that damn shampoo model?"

baji really is hiding himself well. even kazua can't find him. maybe he expected that she'll come there to watch the fight, to stop him, but kazua didn't really think that his teeny little brain would think of that.

if he did, then this is the first time she's ever surprised by baji keisuke.

"you're mine!"

thud!

"huh?" kazua's eyes widened in horror.

right across her in the junkyard was mikey held down by kazutora's lackeys, and kazutora himself in a post-batting position with a pipe in his hands.

toman's leader, the invincible mikey himself, had blood rolling down his head rapidly.

"m-manji..."

"MIKEY!"

draken's dreadful scream echoed around the junkyard, catching everyone else's attention. the division captains themselves couldn't believe that mikey dropped down with a single strike.

"but it was in the head." kazua gasped. "h-he....he could be..."

she skidded down the heap of cars in a hurry, but before she could run towards the other side of the junkyard, her arm was held back. she was pulled to the side of the cars.

"let me g—"

"shh," takemichi covered her masked mouth with his hand to shush her. "sada-san, it looks bad, but mikey's alive."

"what the fuck are you talking about? he was hit in the head. you didn't tell me this happening--!"

"sada-san!" takemichi shook her shoulders with both hands. her hood falls, and he was able to catch sight of tears threatening to spill themselves from the corner of her eyes. "sada-san...please, believe me. you need to stay rational to save baji. mikey-kun will be alright. i promise you."

"m-manji...hanagaki-san, you didn't tell me this."

"i'm sorry. i really am." takemichi sighed. "i have no excuse for that, but you believe in mikey-kun, right? he's the strongest person in toman. have faith in him."

it took her a few ragged breaths before she was able to process all the affirmations takemichi told her. her body stopped shaking in anger and fright, and she was able to hold herself together without his help again.

"sorry," she heaved, "you're sure he'll be alright?"

"yes, he will be."

"not lying." she thought. "okay, thank you. i would've blown my own cover if it weren't for you."

"it's okay. i need to get back. please, keep your head in the mission."

"i will." kazua nodded. "go. the others might wonder where you are."