Hunger

A new servant entered now, I watched them, unable to see their face. I peaked further out of my hiding spot to watch him pick up the king's plate of steaming food. Other servants and cooks were either sitting down and talking, preparing something to be slowly roasted or leaving the kitchen entirely.

I watched the servant with the king's plate walk away, quietly I moved to follow them, Maybe they can even drop a single pea from the plate and I'll be eternally grateful.

Just one, just one! Ow!

I collided heavily with the door as it closed on me, my stubby legs making me to slow to keep up with him. I hissed my anger at the door and walked my way to the bench, watching something slowly roast, possibly beef.

I sat and stared longingly as it spun slowly over a flame, coal sparking and glowing red. The bricks stained with soot, the floor, though swept had a fresh layer of soot settling onto the floor.

I stretched and relaxed near the heat, listening as the meat began to faintly crackle as it roasted.

Maybe if I'm good, a servant will give me some. This warmth is nice, maybe I should get my energy back.

Brown eyes watched me, seeming to burst into flames as I turned and ran, calling for mum, calling for dad. Anybody.

I ran into a shrinking tunnel, begging and pleading for help. Feet thundered after me, making me move faster. Invisible branches slapping me in the face, invisible bushes scratching my legs.

At the end of the tunnel blue eyes watched, I tried turning away, diving into an impossibly smaller hole, shrinking, shrinking.

I called out louder as the hole began to tighten around me. I struggled desperately as the tunnel turned into hands. Sharp teeth bore down on me, no.

No please.

I want to live, I'm only 16.

"This hurts me to do" echoed my father's voice, lowering me, sharp teeth snapping up at me from different mouths.

No.∆

I shot awake, looking around in terror for any teeth. No, only a broom being gently pushed against me, possibly in an attempt to wake me.

"Ah, she's alive! I was worried we'd have to tell the prince we let her die" joked a servant, I backed away nervously, spitting out a hiss before scrambling to my hiding spot.

"Thing was making enough noise, probably dreaming about having some actual fun, that's what I need in my life" huffed someone else. I sat under the spice rack, shivering from the dream, well nightmare.

"Come on you gas baggers, time to start making dinner, the meats nearly finished as are the potatoes, hurry up" ushered a cook, I watched her curiously as she hurried everyone to their feet, the room was suddenly flaring to life.

More cooks came in and servants were grabbing utensils from drawers. I moved slowly out of my hiding spot, hopefully I'll be out of the way. From this angle everything seemed much more intense.

Feet marching past, food sputtering and boiling. Sweet smells filled my sensitive nose and the world became much to loud and confusing.

Dizzy and scared I stumbled around, looking for a quiet spot, their chatter flooding my ears as one solid loud noise. I mewled as pressure hit me.

"Oh no, I nearly stepped on their cat!" Gasped a voice from above me. I stumbled more, trying to escape. I stumbled into a quiet corner, surrounded by sacks of food.

I ducked down and hid away, waiting for the sounds to go away. I'm stuck, I concentrated on breathing, shoving away memories, still feeling remnants of saliva on my soot covered body. My white and grey fur turning black and grey.