“We should leave soon, so you should hurry up.”

 I nodded, making my way to the bathroom.

 “I’m on it.”

 *

 Forty five minutes later, at eight-thirty, I was dressed, made-up, hair straightened and ready to leave.

 “You got ready surprisingly fast,” Luke commented from behind me as I spritzed on some perfume in front of the mirror. He, Layla and Blu were sprawled on the bed together.

 “I know,” I said, capping the bottle. Then I turned around and clapped my hands together. “Okay! I’m ready to go.” I did a twirl. “How do I look?”

 Layla grinned at me.

“Hot.”

 “Agreed,” Luke said, and I raised an eyebrow at him. He flushed but held my gaze.

 “What?”

 I bit my lip, shaking my head.

 “Nothing. Let’s go.”

 He got up, smoothing down his shirt. He looked, well, hot. As I grabbed my clutch, I wondered if I should’ve returned the compliment but then decided against it.

 “Are you going home now, Lay?” I asked her as we made towards my door, flicking the lights off.

 “Nah,” she said, stretching and picking Blu up (he is going to grow up to be so spoilt). “I think I’m going to hang out with Sam for a while.”

 I smirked at her.

 “Of course.”

 She stuck her tongue at me.

 “And while you’re at it just go kiss him or something,” I advised her.

 But then I realized I’d put my foot in my mouth because then she grinned evilly at me.

 “Well, Maya…I guess I could say the same for you.”

 And as my face caught on fire, I was suddenly very aware of Luke’s suddenly stiff frame next to me.

*

 We pulled up in front of Kalki’s house at nine o clock. By the looks of it, the party was in full swing – thudding bass and flashing lights seemed to be pushing it at its seams. Thankfully the party hadn’t spilled out onto the front lawns yet. That wouldn’t go down to too well with the neighbours in a place like this, probably full of retired bureaucrats filled to the brim with ‘When I was your age’ stories.

 “I think it’s wise if we agree to stick together at this place,” Luke murmured, peering out of the windshield at the house as I parked.

 I nodded, killing the engine.

 “Yep. I wouldn’t want to get lost in that.”

 We got out of the car – a few passers-by were giving the house dirty looks but thankfully not complaining. After we were stood in front of the door, Luke shot me a look.

 “Do you think they can even hear the doorbell in there?”

 I rolled my eyes.

 “I think we can just walk in, you know.”

 I was right – the door was unlocked so we pushed it open and entered. The wall of sound hit me hard, but it wasn’t the fuck, my ears are about to rip kind of loud, it was just….loud. The lighting was dim, people dancing, socializing on the edges, effects of alcohol very evident. Though some people were looking high in a way that made me think it wasn’t only alcohol being served there.