strange

from strangers to friends, friends into lovers
and strangers again

❛ from strangers to friends, friends into loversand strangers again ❜

IN WHICH Niki Aoki
is the 1978 camp Nightwing
killer

SWEET JANE. cowboy junkies
AMERICAN PIE. don mclean
YESTERDAY. the beatles
CHIQUITITA. abba
TAKE ME HOME, COUNTRY ROADS. john denver

CARDAN LOOKS AT HER, black hair blowing through the hot summer air as she attempted to skip a rock into the lake with a small smile adorning her lips. There was just some sort of purity that radiated off the girl as she laughs at the fact that her rock wouldn't skip on the lake, instead of the other people around them that threw tantrums at the slightest inconvenience.

He's known Niki Aoki for a week, and it seemed like there wasn't a single negative emotion in that beautiful heart of hers. It was open and spacious, like the sky. Although the boy could remember multiple instances when Niki Aoki had the chance to get mad at him since he always got her in trouble, she never did. Not once.

He never understood her.

Niki always saw the good in people, the silver lining in the clouds, the light in the darkest days. Amid the very bad classism that occurred at Camp Nightwing, where the Sunnyvalers obsessed over shoving it in the Shadysider's faces how rich and easy their lives were; Cardan looks at her as an angel amongst them all - that everyone in camp needs the love, hope and just as she constantly showers the people around her with love and support, Shadysider or Sunnyvaler.

"Cardan, what are you looking at?"

He snaps out of his daze, seeing the girl now kneeling a few meters away from him, face twisted in confusion. He catches how her black eyes dart around his, head-turning as if looking for answers.

"Nothing," he lies, throwing a rock on the surface of the water, watching as it skipped once, twice, thrice, and drops into the water with a loud plop.

"How do you do it so easily?" Niki laughs (Cardan swore he heard it somewhere, in a song, perhaps?) and attempts to throw the rock again. Just like her other trials, it fails miserably and drops in the lake.

"It's because you're using big stones," Cardan smiles, standing up to get a triangular stone that was about the size of the palm of his hand and the weight of a tennis ball. He hands it over to the girl, cheekily grinning when she accepts it.

"Now what?" she asks cluelessly, playing with the rock in her hand.

"You need to throw it faster instead of harder, that's how it skips properly," he informs her, grabbing another rock to show her how it's done. Niki watches as it glides through the water once more, skipping four times before it falls.