eleven. grief and pain

SHE WANTED TO RIP HIS HEAD OFF

SHE WANTED TO RIP HIS HEAD OFF. There was just something utterly annoying about seeing Nick Goode's face in front of her 48 hours after the most traumatic night of her life. She was supposed to be sleeping, maybe come over at Simon's, but once they stitched up her wounds at the hospital she was immediately brought to the police station for questioning.

The Sheriff pressed the button on the recorder. With a click, he started to talk. "Interview with Phoenix Aoki. Sunday, October 2nd, 1994. Tell me what happened."

The girl looked down and stared at the floor. My best friend's ex-girlfriend was being targeted by all of the Shadyside killers for disrupting Sarah Fier's grave. My other best friend got killed.

"I went with Deena and the others to pick up Sam's prescription," Phoenix mumbled, feeling a bit salty that they chose to go with this story. It was unbelievable. "The lights went out. It turned pitch black. None of us could see anything... so we ducked behind a counter and hid until everything was over."

"You had the most injuries out of everyone." Nick Goode pointed out. "The bruises, I'm aware of. But you had two wounds in your thigh. A bleeding temple. Multiple concussions."

There wasn't a way that she could say this without sounding insane, so Phoenix immediately thought of something else. Someone else.

"My father..." she paused, having an immediate change of heart. Stop. It's just gonna cause more trouble. You turn 18 in 6 months. You can move out. "I fell down the stairs," diverting to a completely different reason, Phoenix looked at Nick Goode dead in the eye. "Hit my temple. The ones on my thighs, I was wearing shorts and fell on some glass."

"I'll tell you what the facts tell me. The junkie—"

One sentence. One sentence was all it took for her to blow up like a fuse.

"Kate wasn't a junkie, you pig!" she yelled, starting to feel the pain she felt the last 48 hours when Kate wasn't there. Her other half— the one she always depended on, was gone. "She was my best friend— she was my family, okay?"

"She's to blame for everything. That feels too easy for me. But that's the story this department will go with unless you can help me to see it differently."

Phoenix stood, her lip quivering. There was this voice in her head. Kate is gone. Kate is gone. She's dead. She's gone.

"Her head was stuck into a fucking bread slicer!" Nixie yelled, her eyes shiny, but she refused to cry in front of an officer. Kate is dead. She's gone. She's dead. "She was half gone! How would you blame this on her?"

"Phoenix—"

"Come on! Look at the facts! Kate is valedictorian. She'd never to something as dumb as sticking her head in a bread—" Nixie paused, trying to blink the painful memory away. "Why are you blaming this on her?"