seven. goode is evil

PHOENIX GASPS, the lock falling out of her hand. Shock—pure shock flashed across her features at everything she had just saw in those minutes that almost felt like a whole lifetime.

Stumbling back a step, her wide eyes looked at the lock once again.

NATSUKO

Hands frantic as ever, she grabbed the lock and turned it around in desperation, trying to find something, anything, but there was only one thing written in the back:

The girl in the stars

She did not know who this girl was, or where she came from, but Phoenix hovered over the body, ministering to every want as her heart filled with the tenderest sympathy for Natsuko.

Phoenix knew that she was being stupid, that she was mourning over a random woman in the 16th century, but she did not care— and although she wasn't crying, it felt like her soul wept and no matter what she did, there was no way to comfort it.

She stood, panting over the disturbed grave as she tried to take every single thing in. As a child, she hated stories, she fucking loathed them, but this one took her heard and smashed it into a million pieces.

"Phoenix!" Deena, who had brought her back to the reality of dark skies and police sirens, pulled her arm away. "Phoenix, we have to go. Now."

She nodded, fixing the grave as fast as she could— Deena was in a rush, so she might have had to come back later to deal with it— and stood up, dusting the red moss off her.

"Sarah Fier wasn't evil," Phoenix gasped out, looking at the bones that were wrapped around the jacket that belonged to the boy from Sunnyvale. "I don't know who it was... but it wasn't her. I—"

"Solomon." Deena gasped out, finally realizing that Phoenix saw some kind of vision. Not the exact same as hers, but it was still something. "Solomon... Goode. It's him."

"You two okay?" The loud, booming voice of Nick Goode echoes throughout the small area, causing them to glance at each other. "Need help?"

"Simon... fuck." Phoenix whispered, fear immediately clouding her mind in an instant. Nick Goode was evil, and who knew what he would do to him?

Suddenly, the two girls bolted away, minds coming to an instant agreement of what to do. Even if the forest was dark and full of leaves and branches, she did not let it stop her. Nick Goode was still talking, and Simon and Josh were making some excuses as to why they were there.

Phoenix had a much more silent approach, grab Simon and run for her fucking life, but Deena screamed Josh's name and grabbed him, which made the girl do a double take on the silent plan, and instead, did the same thing,

Nixie ran after Deena, Simon's hand still tight on her own grasp. He was confused, asking a bunch of questions, but the girl did not answer, and instead ran towards the large tree where Deena hid with her brother.

"Jesus christ, what the fuck is going on?" Simon whispered, his grip tightening as he glanced behind him to see if Nick was still following.

"What the hell?" Josh whispered, just as confused. Both Deena and Phoenix looked pale, as if they had just died, and it was confusing the hell out of him.

"Goode is evil." Phoenix whispered in fear, her hand tight against Simon's.

"Do it, boy. Hang her!"

"He's evil. He's evil." She repeated, her hand unknowingly growing tighter around his. She knew that him and the boy she saw were two different people, but there was no way in hell she was letting him near Nick Goode again. "He's fucking evil!"