chapter nine

Emily stared up at her ceiling with tears in her eyes. She felt like a total disappointment. She broke her promise, again. It was so easy for everyone else. Bringing the bottle to her lips she took a small sip. 

"Emily, baby! Are you home?" The voice of Georgia rang up the stairs. "Shit." Emily whispered to herself as she quickly capped the bottle and threw it under her bed. "In my room!" She called back, putting on her best sober face, but it wasnt easy.

Georgia opened the door with a smile. "Why are you home so early?" She asked. Emily shrugged, "Got bored." Georgia sighed. "Well, can you come downstairs for a little bit?" Emily squinted in confusion but followed her down. 

"Georgia who-" She started when she saw a woman with a kid on their couch. "I'll explain in a moment." Georgia said sternly. Emily got slightly concerned but found a seat far away from everyone as the alcohol started hitting her harder.

She stared silently at the floor until the front door opened. "Ginny you're here." Georgia said. "Hi?" Ginny answered walking into the living room. Her eyes found the unknown pair on the couch but she seemed to recognize the woman. "Girls, meet your cousin Caleb and your aunt Maddie." Georgia said shortly.

"Hi Virginia." Maddie smiled. "Emily." The two girls shared a look. "No fucking way." Emily muttered. "I'm not doing this." Ginny snapped. "You said....you said we didn't have any family left. You said your parents were dead." Normally Emily didn't go hard on Georgia but the whiskey was getting to her head. "What happened to 'it's just the four of us'?" She added.

Georgia frowned slightly. "Our parents are not dead." Maddie spoke up. Georgie sent her a glare. "Well, we'll give y'all a minute. Caleb." Maddie said leaving the room. "What, and I cannnot stress this enough, the actual-" Ginny started again but was cut off. "I'm sorry, okay. I should've told you."

"You think?" Emily added sarcastically. Georgia sent her sad look. "Why are they here?" Ginny asked her. "I don't know. I haven't seen my sister in over a decade. They'll stay the night and we'll figure this out in the morning."

"They're staying with us?" Ginny shouted. "I like them." Austin spoke up. "Shut up Austin!" Ginny snapped. "Dude." Emily nudged her. :Do not speak to your brother that way." Georgia said sternly.

Ginny rolled her eyes. "How am I supposed to talk to my brother? Not speak to him for 15 years and pretend he doesn't exist?" Georgia gasped. "Ginny!" 

"Know what? I was an idiot 'cause I believed you when you said this place was different. It is. I made friends. I have a boyfriend. I freaking decorated! But it's not different, is it? I don't even know why I'm shocked. Other moms go to back-to-school nights and help make college lists, but not my mom. My mom... My mom dates her boss and has secret relatives..." Ginny went on. "I will not be trash like you."

Everyone watched as she stormed up to her room. Emily stood up and started behind her. "Emily..." Georgia started. "No."She said shortly. "Emily please." Georgia said grabbing onto her arm. "Why did you lie?"

"I never thought I'd see her again, it was just easier." Georgia explained. "Easier? So were just doing whats easier now?" Emily asked. Georgia sighed. "I never meant for you to find out."

"Like that makes it any better?" The blonde snapped. "After everything I've been through, after everything we did? You promised me, no lies." Her eyes began to water. Georgia opened her mouth but no words came out. "Great, no answer." She chuckled dryly.

Georgia frowned at her. "Im just trying to keep us all safe." Emily ran a hand through her hair. "Look, I understand that, okay? But I can't just put up with all of your bullshit, Georgia." The older woman felt her own eyes start to water. "God, ever since I fucking met you. Everything has just gone to shit. I mean my life sucked but I least I wasn't a murder. Its all such bullshit." She yelled in Georgias face. "Dont say that, you didnt deserve what was happening to you baby, and we got you clean." Georgia said with a sad smile.

"Well that didnt last long." Emily snarled at her. And for the first time since they moved Georgia really took in the girls appearance. Red eyes, sweaty face, flushed cheeks, stench in her breath. "Emily you're not."

Emily laughed. "I have been the whole time. Maybe a week, but then your perfect little Ginny had to go and ruin everything."

"Baby we can get through this." Georgia pleaded. "I dont need your help. You'll just make it worse just like you always do. You're a terrible mother." Emily slurred. "Em, baby dont say that." Georgia choked out. "I love you."

"You've never loved me." Emily seethed before storming out of the house. As the door slammed behind her she finally broke down. Tears streamed down her face.

I know its short but I felt like having a chapter full of drama. Emily will get better soon, dont worry!