epilogue: insecurities

Note: one of my favorites! this one's written by @hi-imlouiswife :)

No matter what happens, LiLo always come back to each other :')

EIGHT MONTHS AFTER GRADUATION:

It had been three months since Liam had moved to the U.S. and three months since he had seen Louis in person. They had had countless Skype sessions, endless texts and daily FaceTimes for the past couple of weeks yet it wasn't the same as meeting in person. Liam missed being able to smell Louis' neck, inhaling the sweet and familiar scent while running his fingers through the smaller boy's soft hair. Liam missed being able to reach out and touch Louis soft skin because when he did it now, his fingers were met with a rigid and firm screen.

His university made sure that the couples' calls were kept abrupt and short by keeping Liam busy with a mountain load of work. The university student's two jobs (which were needed for Liam to be able to pay rent, groceries, school supplies and have a miniscule amount left for his own luxuries, and he refused to let his parents chip in) made him exhausted nevertheless he still kept up until the early hours to wait for Louis to call him.

But there was only so much a man could take until his sleep-deprived-stressed-out-self came through. Liam started to fall asleep before Louis could call him. He started to ignore Louis' messages, calls and Skype requests. He started to find himself getting slightly annoyed when Louis would text "Call me" or "Why won't you reply?"

On a Saturday, the skype ringtone blasted throughout Liam's flat with Louis' profile picture blinking on his laptop display.

"Hello!" Louis' hopeful tone rang through as Liam looked at him, noticing the cheekbones becoming more defined on his boyfriend's face. His hair was messy but in an attractive way, and he wasn't wearing his glasses today.

"Hey. You alright?" The older boy's, to some extent, uncaring tenor was visible to both boys.

"Y-yeah. You okay?" The petite lad said softly, becoming worried at his other half's apprehensive behaviour.

"Mmh. Fine."

"I haven't spoken to you in a while. It feels so good to hear your voice." Louis admitted, smiling in content as he watched Liam's focus travel elsewhere. He could hear the TV on in the background and heard some sports commentary playing.

"That's great Louis."

"How's work and uni going? Must be hard. I was talking about this with Zayn earlier and we were talking about how we can't even imagine ourselves doing what you have to do."

"You'll get used to it." The small brunette started to fidget and become uncomfortable due to Liam's attitude.

"If y-you are busy, I-I can call you t-tomorrow?" His voice sounded meek and Louis was mentally cursing at his pathetic self.

"See ya." And with that Liam clicked the end button and went back to being half-asleep while still trying to concentrate on the season analysis on TV.

Meanwhile, across the pond, Louis just sat on his bed staring at his laptop in shock and paranoia. He had expected for Liam to deny himself of being exhausted and keep talking to him, like he had been doing since he moved.

Louis still loved him, but his insecurities were still in his head, swirling around driving him crazy. They started becoming louder and more noticeable when Liam started to ignore him, causing Louis to wonder what he had done wrong.

The next day Louis called Liam. He didn't pick up.

He tried again the next day only to find the same result.