10: New Acquaintances

Start from the beginning

"It's nice to meet you, Leizer," I offered, and he grabbed on to that with relief flooding out of his words.

"It's very nice meeting you too." His smile reached his eyes and he showed off a neat row of straight and slightly pointy teeth. "I wondered if you'd like me to show you around. Get to know the place, before you're off to get assessed", Leizer suggested.

It was a strange thing to offer, but since the guy was so friendly and welcoming, I thought I'd take opportunity to learn something about this place and possibly more about the Thrakos family. They were royalty around here, apparently. I wasn't quite sure when I'd figured that out, but it still wasn't quite sinking in just yet.

The exchange between the Queen and Reagan hadn't been very motherly, maybe that was why I couldn't quite fathom all of it yet.

"Sure, why not", I replied, trying to mimic his easy demeanour though I doubted I was very successful.

"Splendid", he chirped and held out his arm. Staring at it, I wondered what it was he wanted me to do with it. If he wanted me to place my arm into his, he was asking the wrong girl.

"Where I come from humans do this when they are courting someone. We only do it with our promiseds", I stated, trying to push a apologetic tone into my voice to not seem rude.

"Understood." Leizer lowered his arm but the smile didn't leave his face as I expected it would have.

I followed him down the hall, walking next to him, and my eyes wandered to the countless oil paintings that decorated the walls. "I assume the Queen appreciates the arts?"

Leizer nodded. "I hear you are from Everett Valley," Leizer changed the subject, steering it into a direction I would've preferred to keep away from.

"I am. And you? You're from Cinat?"

This time, Leizer shook his head. "No, I come from the northern part of Polla'Nisia. Cinat was only built to represent ourselves once our kind interacted with humans. Now, it's more of a stronghold."

It definitely explained why the architecture of the housing and the palace was so luxurious and extravagant. "So the Thrakos family didn't grow up in here?" I asked, wondering if I was now on a slippery slope or if Leizer wouldn't mind my questions. He felt like an open book, airily posing himself as someone trustworthy. His signature indicated as much, and so far, he'd given me no reason to mistrust him. That could change quickly, however.

I wondered if Reagan would approve of this conversation, since he'd always been shoving the breaks on any inquisitive conversations whenever they'd occurred in his presence.

Now seemed the best time to get any information I could on anything. I hoped Leizer would keep up the friendly posture and indulge.

"Partially. As far as I know, the eldest three spent a few years in the outskirts before they were required to live here."

I furrowed my brows. "Why were they required to live here?"

Leizer hesitated then, before he answered. "The King wished it so," he said simply and I decided not to press.

"Is Everett Valley truly as isolated as they say?" Leizer asked.

To be fair, I answered his question despite growing weary at speaking of my hometown. It was still riddled with so many questions. "It is. I've never seen anything outside of it. We've not had any new settler since the dark ages and no one has left since then, either."

Leizer looked over at me with interested, hazel eyes. "Well, for outsiders, it is nearly impossible to find."

"Because of the mountains that surround us?"

Leizer nodded. "And because it's been written off many of the maps in Espheros."

Now, intrigue slipped into me. "Off of yours, too?"

A smile appeared on Leizer's lips. "Not off of ours, no. But we don't need maps to begin with."

"Do you know entire Espheros like the back of your hand, then?"

Leizer chuckled. "Yes, of course we do. We've walked this earth longer than any human has. We've had enough time to explore the lands."

A smile spread on my face. "Of course, how obvious." My voice was laced with sarcasm, which Leizer caught on to and laughed.

"Why did you leave?" he asked, briefly turning towards me with his upper body. I kept my eyes on the path ahead of us, which was another corridor we walked down.

"It became unsafe," I answered, hoping Leizer would be satisfied with my short reply. He was not.

"What happened?"

I hesitated. Should I answer that? I knew nothing of this man... What if he would report every word I'd said back to the Queen and she'd deem us threats?

Torn whether to be as transparent as he'd been so far or to end the conversation here, I contemplated. What would the Queen care why we were here? We weren't even here on our own accord––coming here had been her sons idea. Why we decided to leave was irrelevant to her, in any case. Wary, I tried to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, mostly so I could continue asking him all sorts of questions.

"We were attacked. People got killed. That sorta' thing."

Leizer nodded in understanding. "I assume the three people of your back missing have something to do with that?"

My heart stopped as he voiced his assumption.

"We're actually not sure of that," I said. Was there a direct link between Holden, Shyla and Tyler and what had happened at home? I'd never really thought of that being a possibility.

"Why would you assume that?" I asked slowly.

Leizer shrugged, unfazed by the weight his words had brought on.

"You said that there hadn't been any new settlers since the dark ages. And considering Ryker was almost killed by the three shifters that were brought to Keinarnin, I'd expect there to be a connection. It seems to me they are capable of taking life, and if life within your walls has been taken before..."

"I see what you mean."

Dread settled in the pit of my stomach, and I felt nauseous.

Leizer turned to look at me directly, again, trying to read the expression on my face. I imagined all color was drained from it.

"Are you alright?"

Shaking my head, I touched his shoulder to stabilize myself. Looking at the ground, I tried to inhale deeply, calming my racing heart. Then I sensed someone else's presence and my heartbeat spiked.

"Shall I call––" Before Leizer finished his sentence, a tall silhouette appeared behind him, towering over us like a dark shadow. Stepping into the light, quite a bit taller than Leizer, my promised's gaze bore into me with a fire in his irises that kept me in place. He was angry, I could feel it travel into me as he stood there.

"You're dismissed," Reagan said flatly, his voice void of any emotions.

Leizer didn't seem fazed at all by Reagan's cold demeanour and his presence altogether. I shouldn't have been either, but I was. Having Reagan appear out of nowhere had startled me slightly and instantly caused my hands to clam up.

He made me nervous.

"Of course, Ker Reagan. You two have a lovely day", he wished kindly and turned to leave.

I felt the need to thank him. "Thank you, Leizer."

Leizer turned around with a smile on his face, briefly closed his eyes as he bowed his head and said, "It's my pleasure. We can continue another time."

Returning his smile, I felt a tension arise from Reagan that vibrated between us and instantly the feeling of disapproval washed over me.