Love You From a Distance

Start from the beginning

"Of course, I'll be back with your drinks soon," she said, her eyes once again landing on Maya as she spoke before having to turn away.

As she walked back, she couldn't help but hear both Andy and Vic whisper-shouting something to Maya although she couldn't quite make out what they were saying.

"Who was it that came in - you were a while?" Amelia asked when Carina returned to the bar.

"Three women from the Marines," Carina replied.

"Ah they haven't been here in a while," Maggie noted, checking the drink order from Carina before pulling out some glasses.

"Andrea! Order!" Carina said, putting the piece of paper up on the ticket rack.

"Grazie!" He replied.

Back at the table the three Marines were sat waiting for their drinks.

"What the hell was that Bishop!" Andy said, punching her friend in the arm.

"Ow - what do you mean?" Maya replied.

"The very attractive brunette that just came to our table to take our order. Why didn't you talk to her?!"

"I did!"

"Saying: you're new. Isn't talking to her. She was looking at you too!"

"Oh guys c'mon, seriously? I've known her for like two minutes, what could you have gathered from that?"

"That she likes you, or is at least interested in you, did you not see how she was looking at you?" Vic exclaimed, getting excited for the blonde.

"I'm sure it was just the uniform," Maya waved off.

Despite her friends' comments and her somewhat reserved tone she had, of course, noticed the stunning brunette that had served them. She had wavy brown hair that seemed to have this golden, caramel tint when the light hit it through the glass. Her eyes were a similar colour, a caramel brown with small flecks of gold if you looked close enough, and this bright smile.

She was inquisitive, kind, carefree, smart and that was only from that first conversation. Maya had a good sense of character and there was something about Carina that felt drawn to. The only thing was it was currently battling with her desire to be alone, to have no strings, no concerns, no baggage. She'd left all her baggage when she'd joined the Marines - she'd never had any intention to pick any up, until now.

"It was not the uniform, we are all wearing the exact same thing and she didn't look at us like that, so try again Bishop. Go and talk to her, ask her for a drink or something. We have the night off tonight. Make the most of it!" Andy encouraged.

"This is ridiculous," Maya stated, not liking being pressured by her friends.

"No it's not. Just do it - enjoy yourself!"

"Maybe," Maya relented, for the sole purpose of getting them off her back so she could enjoy her breakfast without being bombarded with questions and comments about her dating life, or lack thereof, for that matter.

"Can I get you anything else?" Carina asked as she put down the Marines' food.

Andy and Vic looked at Maya expectantly.

"No we are all good thank you," Maya said, receiving looks from the other two.

"Okay great. If you do, just let me know," and with that charming smile Carina left the table so the women could eat.

"Really Maya?!"

"Enough - both of you," Maya said, her word final. Andy and Vic shared one last look before deciding to leave the conversation alone, for now at least.