Love You From a Distance

Start from the beginning

The place was always filled with truckers and people on road trips, and the occasional person who had taken a wrong turn and decided to make a quick pit stop. She helped when she could, but given it was a fair way from her own home she wasn't able to come down too often.

She looked around the restaurant and mentally counted the eight or so customers sitting at their respective tables, each keeping to themselves - probably all thankful to just be out of the heat.

"Hi you two," Carina greeted, seeing the two women behind the bar top counter.

"Carina! It's been a while," Amelia said, giving her a side hug, any form of close body contact not ideal in this weather.

"I know, I've been very busy lately, but I had the day off so when Andrea called I agreed."

"Well, it's nice to have you here for the day," Maggie added.

"Oh heads up," Amelia said, nodding towards the door. A small chime indicating the arrival of some more customers.

"I'll take it," Carina offered, quickly drinking another glass of water before she headed over.

As she turned the corner, she was met with three women sitting down in the booth. From the back she saw a blonde, a brunette and then sitting on the opposite side, facing Carina was the final woman who had dark curly hair, pulled back into what Carina assumed was a low bun.

As she got nearer she noticed that they were all dressed in identical outfits, olive green short sleeve t-shirts and camouflaged trousers.

"Hello ladies," she greeted, her eyes immediately drawn to the blonde woman. She had these bright, blue eyes that seemed hardened and closed off, yet they peaked Carina's curiosity. What was hidden behind those blue eyes?

"You're new." The blonde stated more than questioned, staring right back at her. The tone in which she spoke made Carina falter for a moment, not quite expecting her to be so direct but if anything it only interested her more.

"Something like that. My name is Carina," she introduced.

"It's nice to meet you Carina," the brunette woman said, giving a pointed stare to the blonde that could only be described as silently saying: what is wrong with you, be nice.

"Likewise. Are you guys in the army?" She asked curiously, the choice of outfit being her main source of evidence.

"Marines," the other woman replied. "Corporal Victoria Hughes," she added, sticking out her hand which Carina shook.

"Corporal Andy Herrera," the brunette said in turn.

"Sergeant Maya Bishop," the blonde finished.

"Well, it's very nice to meet you all. Thank you for your service," she responded with a grateful smile. "So Sergeant huh? Does that mean you are these two's boss?"

"I lead the unit, yes," Maya replied.

"A very good one at that," Vic spoke up. "Even if you made us workout like crazy people."

"You joined the Marines," Maya quipped back, Carina seeing the first smile from the blonde since they'd been talking.

"Okay - can we actually order please? I'm starving," Andy said, interrupting the pair.

"Oh yes sorry. Can I have sausage, egg and bacon, and an orange juice?" Vic ordered.

"Chocolate chip waffles please and a water," Andy said.

"Black coffee and a breakfast burrito please," Maya finished, handing her menu back over to Carina, their fingertips lightly brushing at the contact.