"Don't worry kid, anyone from district 3 would be automatically smarter than the other careers" Beetee assures.

He backs up, looking at Lumen and me.

"We could have you two be a couple. A romance from district 3 to root for sure would bring sponsors." Beetee suggests. "It would also make you extra desirable" he says to me.

"Wouldn't I be more desirable if I was single?" I ask, kinda not wanting to have to pretend to date the dude.

"I was going more the playing hard to get route, but you make a good point. Alright scratch that. You'll be best friends. He'll have a crush on you. You'll be oblivious. Bam, desirable. And he'll be more nerdy underdog seeming" he says.

We chuckle at him.

I could tell this man was a fast thinker. He's already got a whole plan made out before we even arrived at the Capitol.

"Oh and we can use your charms to get you guys an alliance with the Careers." he says to me.

What charms? Just because I look nice doesn't mean I automatically have charm.

"And since you're already a career. You can help her get in too" he says to Lumen.

"By the way" Beetee suddenly turns to me.

"I heard your last name. Any relation to last year's tribute?" he asks.

I solemnly nod. "Yeah. He is... was my brother. Twin, actually" I say.

"So it was you who attacked that peacekeeper, huh?" he asks.

I nod, hesitantly.

He chuckles in response. "Good spirit. I'm sorry. He was a good kid" he comforts me.

I fake a smile and nod.

Eventually, Beetee leaves the room.

"Hmm. Won't be hard to fake a crush on you, gorgeous." Lumen says, winking at me.

I chuckle at him, blushing unnoticeably.

Or so I thought.

"Was that a blush I saw" he teases.

"Shut up" I punch him.

"I'm sure you get plenty of compliments, but you blushed at mine?" he teases, smugly, as always.

"I don't get that many compliments" I mutter.

"Oh yeah, I find that hard to believe" he says. I chuckle at him.

Later on, we watch the reapings. District One has two majestic looking blonds who both volunteered.

I scoff at them. "They look so proud that at least one of them is gonna die" I say to Lumen, forgetting he volunteered.

"I guess they each think it'll be the other one who dies" he says back, not taking his eyes off the television.

I turn my face over to his, taking in what he'd just said.

I'm his other one. He volunteered. He's just like them. He's riding on my death.

It hits me then that no one in that arena will be truly looking out for me. I will be alone.

When Flickerman starts talking about the tributes, Lumen turns and sees the look on my face.

"Hey, woah. I didn't mean it like that. I forgot" he says, referring to the fact that he'd forgotten I wasn't a career like them.

District 1, 2, and 4 were the main career districts. To be a career in district three means to be special. Maybe Lumen has district government in his family, or something.