chapter 15

Chapter 15
Sword Fights and Family Reunions

Dahlia was in a tree when it happened. After successfully completing Caspian's plan of a night raid to steal supplies from the Telemarines (including a bit of food for Dahlia) and getting everything back to the How, a small group decided to scout the forest for the Pevensies. That went alright for a couple of hours until a majority of the group started complaining and Caspian suggested they take a break.

The mage was balanced on a large branch with her back against the tree's trunk, wishing she could just magically make the Pevensies appear so they could stop searching altogether. She let her eyes droop closed; she wasn't really tired, seeing as she'd slept for over a thousand years, but organizing a small army of Narnians took a lot of work.

Then she heard the clashing of swords and nearly fell off her branch. Dahlia flew out of the tree and followed the source of the noise, almost tumbling out of the sky when she saw what it was.

Caspian was fighting Peter; that wasn't great in hindsight, but Dahlia was so excited to see the eldest Pevensie that it didn't matter. The mage shook herself out of her relieved state when she saw Caspian struggling to pull Peter's sword out of a tree while Peter raised a large rock over the prince's head.

"Wait!" the mage yelled, landing in front of Peter and grabbing the arm holding the rock. Peter stared at her, stunned.

"Dahlia?" he muttered, studying her face as if he wasn't sure she was really there. Dahlia smiled at him, tears forming in her eyes; she may have been asleep for all of it, but 1300 years was a long time to not see the people who became her only family.

Peter dropped the rock to the ground, pulling Dahlia into his chest and wrapping his arms around her as tight as he could. Dahlia hugged him back just as hard, burying her face in his shoulder. Behind them, Caspian had finally managed to pull Peter's sword out of the tree and was watching their interaction, thoroughly confused.

"Lia!" Dahlia felt someone slam into her from behind; she pulled away from Peter and twisted around to see Lucy holding her by the waist. The mage's smile impossibly widened as she crouched down to hug the girl back. After a moment Dahlia stood up and turned back to the boys with one arm still around Lucy's shoulders. The mage saw that the small group of Narnians had assembled around them and signaled for them to put their weapons away.

"Prince Caspian?" Peter asked. Caspian, still visibly bewildered, looked over Peter's shoulder at Dahlia. The mage just pointed at the sword in Caspian's hand. The Telemarine prince saw the golden lion head on the hilt and looked back at Peter, brows furrowed.

"High King Peter?" he questioned. Peter nodded, glancing over at Lucy and Dahlia.

"I believe you called," Peter replied, crossing his arms. Caspian nodded slowly.

"Well yes, but-"

"Lucy!" Another voice cut him off; the group turned to see Susan, Edmund, and a dwarf enter the clearing.

"I thought you'd be older," Caspian finished. Dahlia let go of Lucy and looked at Caspian.

"I wasn't," she said with a smile before spinning around and facing the remaining Pevensies.

"Dahlia..." Susan said quietly in disbelief. The mage held out her arms and Susan rushed forward, nearly knocking the wind out of Dahlia. Once Susan let her go (which took quite some time), Dahlia turned to Edmund.

"You're not getting out of this, Ed. Come here," Dahlia said, slowly walking towards him with her arms outstretched. The younger Pevensie boy tried to look annoyed but failed miserably; he met her halfway and accepted her hug, somehow squeezing her even tighter than Peter had.

"Thank goodness you're alive, Fey," Edmund mumbled into her shoulder. Dahlia laughed through a few tears and pulled away, ruffling his hair.

"Someone had to look after you all," the mage said with a smile, turning back to Peter, Lucy, and Caspian.

"I'm still not quite sure I understand how all of you are...young," Caspian said to the High King. Peter raised an eyebrow and glanced at his siblings.

"Well if you like, we can come back in a few years," Peter said, taking a step backward.

"No!" Caspian said hastily. "No, that's alright. You're just...you're just not what I expected." Caspian looked away from Peter and glanced at the other Pevensies. His gaze lingered a bit longer on Dahlia, whose arm was resting on Edmund's shoulder.

"Neither are you," Edmund said, looking up at a minotaur.

"A common enemy unites even the oldest of foes," a badger, whom Dahlia learned was named Trufflehunter, said from atop a rock. "And Lady Fey convinced those of us who doubted Prince Caspian, so really our cooperation is thanks to her."

"Of course it is," Edmund said, jokingly rolling his eyes; Dahlia lightly smacked his face with the back of her hand. Reepicheep stepped forward, bowing to Peter.

"We have anxiously awaited your return, my liege. Our hearts and swords are at your service," the mouse said as he stood back up.

"Oh my gosh, he is so cute," Lucy whispered to Susan, but not quietly enough.

"Who said that!?" Reepicheep challenged, drawing his sword; Dahlia stifled a laugh in Edmund's shoulder. Lucy smiled sheepishly and apologized.

"Oh, uh...your majesty," Reepicheep stuttered, lowering his weapon. "With the greatest respect, I do believe 'courageous', 'courteous', or 'chivalrous' might more befit a knight of Narnia," he said as he sheathed his sword.

"Well, at least we know some of you can handle a blade," Peter said to the mouse; Dahlia shook her head at Peter's not-so-subtle jab at Caspian. She figured it would be the first of many, and was not looking forward to the pair of them butting heads.

"Yes, indeed," Reepicheep agreed with Peter. "And I have recently put it to good use securing weapons for your army, sire."

"Good," Peter said, turning back to Caspian. "Because we're gonna need every sword we can get."

"Well then, you will probably be wanting yours back," Caspian replied less than kindly. He held Peter's sword out to him; the High King grabbed its hilt and flipped it, shoving it back into its sheath and walking away.

Caspian quickly fell into step beside Peter to guide the group of Narnians back to the How. Edmund led Lucy forward after them, leaving Susan and Dahlia at the rear of the group. The mage strolled along beside her friend, reaching behind her to pull the queen up a small hill. At the front of the crowd, Caspian and Peter already seemed to be bickering and talking over each other.

"Those two are gonna be a nightmare, I just know it," Dahlia groaned as they weaved through the trees. Susan just laughed, linking her arm through Dahlia's.

"Well, that's why we're here."