chapter 14

Chapter 14
Don't Kill the Future King

Dahlia heard the Narnians before she saw them. Dozens of creatures were standing in a circle looking down at a dark-haired boy about Dahlia's age (or at least the age Dahlia appeared to be, she still wasn't sure how that worked). Recognizing the boy as Caspian, Dahlia quietly floated into the forest and settled herself amongst the branches of a tree as the yelling continued.

"All this horn proves is that they've stolen yet another thing from us!" a dwarf yelled, pointing accusingly at Caspian. Dahlia's jaw clenched; Caspian may have had no part in the destruction of Narnia, but he was still a Telemarine by blood. It would be a lot harder to get the Narnians to trust him with that in mind.

"I didn't steal anything!" the prince cried desperately. The mage felt bad for him; Caspian's ancestors had taken over Narnia, not Caspian himself.

"Didn't steal anything?" a minotaur retorted. "Shall we list the things the Telemarines have taken?" Many of the Narnians cheered in agreement.

"Our homes!"

"Our freedom!"

"Our lives!"

"You would hold me accountable for all the crimes of my people?" Caspian asked, glaring around the circle.

"Accountable, and punishable!" the dwarf who mentioned the horn earlier responded, walking down a few rocks to stand in front of Caspian.

"Ha!" a mouse said as he made his way towards them, drawing a sword. "That's rich coming from you, dwarf. Or have you forgotten that it was your people who fought alongside the White Witch?" Dahlia frowned; she hated to think of the battle against the Witch. But the mouse did have a point.

"And I'd gladly do it again," the dwarf said, knocking the mouse's blade with his own. "If it would rid us of these barbarians!" Dahlia had heard enough. She jumped out of her place in the trees, landing in front of Caspian with her back to him. She scoffed as several Narnians brandished weapons at her.

"Relax, I'm on your side," Dahlia said, her voice deep and scratchy from lack of use; she looked over her shoulder at Caspian. "And unlike most Narnians, I'm not mad at you. Your people, yes. But not you," she clarified, turning back to the circle of Narnians; the prince stared intently at the crown on her head, certain he'd seen it somewhere before. Many of the Narnians surrounding them had apparently decided that an ally of Caspian's had to be an enemy, and more than a few arrows were aimed at Dahlia's face. The mouse from before, however, looked horrified by their actions and scrambled up a pile of rocks to yell at them all.

"You would dare turn your weapons on Narnia's royal mage? I'm ashamed of you all," he said, pointing at the crown on Dahlia's head. "I'm terribly sorry for their behavior, my lady, I'm sure they just didn't recognize you at first. Reepicheep, at your service," the mouse continued with a polite bow. Dahlia smiled at him, already deciding that she liked the little creature.

"You are Lady Dahlia Fey?" Caspian asked from behind her. Dahlia turned and nodded.

"I am." At her response, Caspian dropped to one knee and kneeled in front of her with his head bowed. All of the surrounding Narnians did the same.

"I'm sorry, I did not realize it was you," Caspian said softly. "I assumed-"

"That I'd arrive with the Pevensies?" Dahlia interrupted. Caspian nodded, head still bowed. "Contrary to whatever stories you may have heard we're not entirely inseparable, but I've already been assured they'll find their way. Oh, and also," Dahlia added, reaching down to pull Caspian up by the arm. "There's really no need for the formalities," Dahlia said a bit louder, waiting for all of the Narnians to stand up. She turned back to Caspian, lowering her voice again. "Especially since you're royalty as well." Caspian nodded, smiling slightly.

"Alright, her I trust. But that still leaves the boy!" Dahlia sighed; that one dwarf in particular was very vocal about his hatred for Caspian.

"He is your future king," she said coolly, glaring down at the dwarf before addressing all the Narnians at once. "Many of your ancestors fought beside the Pevensies and I in the battle against the White Witch because they believed in a free Narnia. I am asking you all to do the same." Dahlia took a deep breath, choosing her next words carefully. "I should have been here to defend Narnia. And while my absence wasn't my own doing, words cannot describe how sorry I am for what you have all had to endure. But I'm back now, as are the Pevensies, and I promise we'll do everything we can to restore the Narnia you once knew. But we can't do it without Caspian. So trust him, follow him. He can give us back our home," Dahlia finished, looking over to Caspian who just stood there staring at her. She tilted her head slightly in the direction of the crowd and he seemed to realize she wanted him to say something.

"Two days ago, I didn't believe in the existence of talking animals, or dwarves, or centaurs. Or mages," Caspian said, glancing at Dahlia. She smiled and nodded for him to continue. "Yet here you are, in strength and numbers that we Telemarines could have never imagined. Dahlia's presence here proves that this horn is magical, and it brought us together." Dahlia stared at the horn he held in the air; it was definitely Susan's. "And together, we have a chance to take back what is ours."

"You're sure we can trust him, mage?" the same infuriating dwarf asked Dahlia; he had good reason to hate the Telemarines, but his persisting distrust of Caspian was getting on Dahlia's nerves.

"I'm certain," Dahlia replied, her narrowed eyes daring him to object again. He didn't.

"If you two will lead us, then my sons and I offer you our swords," a centaur said from the rocks above them. He and the other Narnians held their weapons out to Caspian and Dahlia.

"And we offer you our lives," Reepicheep said with a bow. "Unreservedly."

"Miraz's army will not be far behind," a badger said to Dahlia and Caspian. The mage recognized the name from her dream; he was Caspian's uncle and the man who had ordered the young prince's murder. Caspian looked at Dahlia, almost as if he was asking for permission to state his plan. Dahlia sighed and gestured for him to speak; being treated like royalty was one thing, but she wasn't sure how to feel about being treated like a legend.

"If we are to be ready for them, we need to hurry to find soldiers and weapons," Caspian said, looking at Dahlia again before continuing. "I'm sure they will be here soon." Dahlia knew he meant the Pevensies.

"They will be."