chapter 3

Chapter 3
The Chase

They were running again. Shortly into their dread-filled walk back to the dam, Dahlia had heard the sound of wolves howling in the woods behind them; Edmund had given the Witch their location. The group moved as fast as they could, Dahlia pushing branches out of the way with magic and lifting people up if they slipped on the snow.

Mr. Beaver burst through the door of the dam, the children piling in after him. Dahlia pushed the door shut and locked it, though she knew it would do nothing to stop the wolves.

"Hurry Mama! They're after us!" Mr. Beaver cried. Mrs. Beaver started rushing about, grabbing things from various cupboards.

"What's she doing?" Peter asked, panicked. Mr. Beaver gestured vaguely in annoyance, and Susan walked over to help Mrs. Beaver pack.

"Oh, you'll be thanking me later. It's a long journey and Beaver gets pretty cranky when he's hungry," she said far too calmly, grabbing packages of food.

"I'm cranky now!" Mr. Beaver protested. Dahlia heard growls coming from outside the dam. She looked at Peter; the wolves were already there.

"Do you think we'll need jam?" Susan asked, wrapping up more food. Dahlia felt something grab her cloak; she looked down to see Lucy clinging to her. The mage wrapped an arm around the young girl's shoulders and pulled her close.

"Only if the Witch serves toast!" Peter yelled at Susan, infuriated by her priorities.

The wolves started circling the dam, biting and clawing at the wood and windows. Thinking quickly, Dahlia formed an energy shield around the inside of the dam to push them back. It was something her parents had struggled to teach her and it wasn't very strong, but it could hold the wolves out for long enough.

Mr. Beaver pulled open a door that led to an underground tunnel, ushering them all inside. Dahlia, still holding up the shield, turned back to look as Susan and Peter stepped into the hole.

"I'll stay and hold them off, you go," Dahlia tried to reason. Peter and Susan looked at each other and Peter jumped out of the hole, dragging Dahlia back by the arm; the shield fell.

"Absolutely not. You're coming with us," he said, standing in front of her so she had no choice but to enter the tunnel. Susan helped pull Dahlia down and Peter hopped in after them. The three of them caught up with Lucy and the beavers, led by a torch in Mr. Beaver's hand.

"Badger and me dug this. Comes out right near his place," Mr. Beaver called back, running through the tunnel with much more ease than the children.

"You told me it led to your mum's!" his wife exclaimed. Lucy tripped over a root and fell to the ground. The whole group stopped and Susan pulled her up; howls echoed in the tunnel.

"They're in the tunnel," Lucy whispered fearfully. The beavers urged them forwards, and Dahlia got an idea. Holding one hand out behind her as she ran, Dahlia grew the roots inside the tunnel so they blocked off the wolves' path. She knew they'd claw through them, but it would slow them down.

Dahlia slammed into Peter's back when the group reached a dead end. Peter steadied her as the beavers bickered. Mr. Beaver finally jumped up through the hole above them, Mrs. Beaver following. Dahlia helped Susan and Lucy out of the hole, turning to Peter who just pushed her towards the exit. She huffed in frustration, pulling herself out of the hole and onto the snowy ground. Peter climbed out after her, helping Mr. Beaver roll a barrel in front of the hole.

A crash sounded behind them; the group turned to see that Lucy had fallen over onto a pile of little woodland creatures all turned to stone. Dahlia's jaw clenched as she helped Lucy up. The Witch had been there. Mr. Beaver walked up to a stone badger and gently touched its paw.