chapter 2

Chapter 2
Prophecy

The children followed the beaver through the cliffs, beginning to feel the effects of the dropping temperature. Dahlia routinely glanced behind them to make sure they weren't followed. Lucy and Peter stayed up front with Mr. Beaver; they also told him all of their names because it's entirely insensible to accept someone's help without proper introductions.

"Come on. We don't want to be caught out here after nightfall," the beaver said, urging them to walk faster. Susan looked at Dahlia.

"Does the Witch come out at night?" she whispered. Dahlia shook her head.

"Not often, she usually sends her wolves," she replied. "And if they don't get you, the cold certainly will." The group continued traveling under a bridge until they spotted the beaver's dam in the middle of a frozen pool. It looked cozy and inviting, smoke rising from the chimney.

"Ah, blimey! Looks like the old girl's got the kettle on. Nice cup o' Rosy Lee," Mr. Beaver said, his voice bouncing off the rocks. Dahlia once again looked back the way they came.

"It's lovely," Lucy said sweetly. The beaver shrugged, flattered.

"It's merely a trifle, still plenty to do. Ain't quite finished it yet. It'll look the business when it is, though," he said as they continued down the slope to his house.

"Anything's better than being out in the snow," Dahlia said, pulling her cloak more tightly around her as they approached the dam.

"Right you are, Miss Fey, right you are." A second beaver waddled out of the house; Mr. Beaver's wife.

"Beaver, is that you? I've been worried sick! If I find you've been out with Badger again I-" Mrs. Beaver cut herself off, spotting the five children behind her husband. "Oh! Well, those aren't badgers. Oh, I never thought I'd live to see this day." She shuffled up to them, looking at Mr. Beaver. "Look at my fur. You couldn't have given me ten minutes warning?" Her husband shrugged.

"I'd have given you a week if I thought it would've helped," he said, chuckling. Mrs. Beaver ignored him and looked up at the children.

"Oh, come inside. Let's see if we can't get you some food, and some civilized company." Mrs. Beaver walked into the house, the girls and Peter following her.

***

A bit later, Dahlia and Susan finished helping Mrs. Beaver with dinner and settled down at the small table with Mr. Beaver, Peter, and Lucy. Edmund was sitting behind them on the stairs, ignoring them entirely.

"Isn't there anything we can do to help Tumnus?" Peter asked as Susan poured tea for all of them. Mr. Beaver shook his head.

"They'll have taken him to the Witch's house. And you know what they say. There's few that go through them gates that come out again." Mrs. Beaver dashed over and plunked a plate down on the table.

"Fish 'n' chips!" she said with a smile, trying to change the subject. Lucy's face fell; Dahlia placed a hand on her shoulder as Mrs. Beaver rushed to cheer her up. "But there is hope, dear, lots of hope." Mr. Beaver spat his drink back into his cup, spraying tea on Dahlia. She waved a hand over her sleeve and it dried; Lucy stared wide-eyed and Dahlia winked at her as Mr. Beaver continued.

"Oh yeah, there's a right bit more than hope!" he said loudly, leaning forward a bit. "Aslan is on the move." Dahlia felt her heart leap; her parents used to tell her stories of Aslan, along with the prophecy. She could recite from memory the story about the kings, queens, and mage that would save them from the Witch by Aslan's side. She thought for a moment that maybe Aslan had been the voice she'd heard (it had certainly sounded regal enough) but she pushed the thought from her mind as Edmund left the stairs and walked to them.