01 | the criminal bleeds

01

the criminal bleeds

THAT GIRL VOCIFERATING in the middle of the courtroom is none other than Akari Hill-Miuri. In short, you can just call her Akari. She's part American and part Japanese you see. That would explain the name. She's in the middle of something right now, quite important and a little bit serious.

"Your Honor," Akari paused deliberately. "The integrity of the tape is compromised, as the recorded date, originally displayed in the right-hand corner in Arial font, appears on the left-hand corner with a different font in the evidence presented by the prosecution. Allow me to illustrate with an excerpt from the unaltered original tape."

"The position of the date does not matter-"

"Yes, it does when that's the only tape where the position is different." Akari cut the opposing attorney off, returning a smirk to the scowl directed towards her.

"Hence, I would like to conclude, as it is evident that the culprit is Ms. Delaney," Akari declared, punctuating her statement with a dramatic table slam. Her arguments against Delaney and their residence had been so compelling that everyone present was truly captivated by Akari's presentation. Despite having law students among them, the consensus leaned towards Akari as the spokesperson, given her dedicated efforts in handling the Stolen Trophy case.

The court erupted into commotion as chatter filled the air. The Judge lowered her glasses before commanding silence from the room.

"Based on the evidence presented by the plaintiffs, it is evident that the tape has indeed been tampered with. With three witnesses attesting to witnessing Ms. Delaney stealing Kappa Thi Theta's trophy, I hereby pronounce Ms. Delaney guilty. Those allegedly involved in aiding Ms. Delaney will be subject to appropriate punishment, including serving detention and engaging in charity work for the next three months. The stolen trophy must be returned to Kappa Thi Theta within the next three hours."

Cheers erupted from one side of the make-shift courtroom. Members of Kappa Thi Theta surrounded Akari in victory as she smugly nodded, utterly proud of herself.

"Akari, oh my god, you crushed Beta Beta like crushing a grape. That was amazing!" Ha-eun, best friend of Akari exclaimed as she jumped up and down while hugging her. The rest of the members fussed around, clapping and hugging Akari in happy tears.

Akari was part of an organisation, Kappa Thi Theta-the organisation was founded for the good of animals and Akari loved animals. That was the sole reason why she decided to join the organisation in the first place.

Each year, a charity event takes place to donate to animal shelters and the organisation with the highest amount of money collected receives a trophy. That, my dear readers, was stolen on the night they won. After a month of gathering pieces of evidence and trials, they finally won the case, knowing from the beginning that it had to be Beta Beta- another organisation for the welfare of animals in their University.

So, you can see why this victory meant a lot to them.

Professor Davis got down from the make-shift podium for the Judge and took off her robes before heading towards the cheering Kappa Thi Theta members.

"Congratulations," She smiled before adding, "Although I'm happy for you a lot, please do not call me ever again to act as the Judge for these kinds of silly things. I will not help again."