Operation William

The next few days turned into weeks as they kept their secret. It felt euphoric, spending free evenings and sleepless nights in each other's arms, telling stories. confessing feelings, falling in love.

They were content as long as they both had each other. As time elapsed the captain grew more comfortable in what he used to resent.

The captain would announce "Office Havers! I need to discuss operation William" with such an air of confidence, at the dinner table, after a briefing, anywhere, in front of anyone and everyone. But somehow it was still their secret, as far as they knew.

But they didn't know, the officers were catching on. The sneaky behaviour was so blatant that the other soldiers couldn't help but gossip and whisper as they walked past. Disrespecting a captain or a lieutenant was a serious offence but they were all so sure something was going on that one evening after the captain had ushered his partner into his office, officer Andy followed behind them. Standing behind the door he heard everything.

"You looked so handsome in this morning's briefing. So strong and commanding. A true captain."

"I do love you, Havers." The captain chuckled.

"I love you too." The lieutenant responded.

As the two were leaning in to kiss, Andy broke into the office, his eyes bulged in surprise at the embrace of his superiors.

"You saw nothing!" The captain exclaimed in shock, his face washed white, "Officers must always knock before entering my office, I could have you down for this Andy." The captain retaliated quickly.

"I'll tell no one, I promise," Andy said retreating.

But their secret was out. The captain was sure whispers of his passion would be passed around Button House and beyond. The captain could bear the torment but he would never want Havers to experience the humiliation.

Because he loved him.