Chapter 4 || MOUNTAIN HERD

Oceanfire flew behind the Mountain Herd steeds

Oceanfire flew behind the Mountain Herd steeds. They soared over the mountain tops, watching the rocky and craggy formations below them grow and shrink the closer or father they got. It was just Oceanfire's luck that it was summer, meaning Mountain Herd had since migrated to their northern grazing lands; Canyon Meadow. It was also why he'd been spotted so soon. Patrols flew around the area shortly after a migration ended to make sure no one got too comfortable on their unused territory.

Crimsonfire tucked his wings, the group following suit as they angled themselves downwards to to grazing lands. They swooped down in a circle, thousands of pegasi grazing in the dark green grass below. Newly made yearlings a were practicing their flight formations and moves, but cleared out upon seeming the captains and skyherders arrive. Some steeds looked up at the shadows casted over them, most either going back to grazing or staring after Oceanfire.

The group coasted to a landing on some short mountains overlooking the meadow. It was were the leaders would sleep and where Stonewing would watch over the entire herd. Said leader and the lead mare, Cedarcloud, were already there, watching the group come to a landing a few wing lengths in front of them.

"Captain, what have you found?" Stonewing asked, ruffling his mixture of light and dark green feathers.

"We found this Snow Herd stallion on our borders, sire. He claims to have been exiled from his herd after he supposedly broke a rule," said Crimsonfire, eying Oceanfire.

"He's innocent!" Darkwater cried but was pulled away by Sparrowleaf.

Stonewing walked forwards, the captains making room for him as the grey over-stallion stood in front of Oceanfire. Despite the illustrious titles Stonewing had earned during his time serving as over-stallion it didn't changed the fact that Oceanfire had to look down to meet his eyes. Snow Herd steeds were some of the tallest in Anok, but Oceanfire hadn't really thought about it until he was staring at a different herd leader who's ear tips only grazed his nose.

"So, an exiled Snow Herd captain?" Stonewing said, not intimidated by his size.

"Yes sir. I was exiled by Sealwing and Glaciercloud after breaking a herd rule. Before this I was flying to the Wastelands where I figured I could stay," said Oceanfire.

"So I have no reason to believe that you are a spy getting information on my herd so your comrades can attack as soon as you leave?" asked Stonewing.

"Trust me, sir. If you send a messenger to Snow Herd, Sealwing will tell them to execute me. I'm not welcome in the northern lands anymore," snorted Oceanfire.

"Interesting. Seems like you're telling the truth," Stonewing said, the captains looking at him in surprise.

"But sir-" Crimsonfire started, but Cedarcloud stopped him.

"Let the poor colt be. He just lost herd and family now you're treating him like a rabbit wolf. Allow him to rest then be on his way, he obviously means the herd no harm," whinnied the lead mare.

Oceanfire had rarely seen the Mountain Herd lead mare, but from what he'd heard through stories she was a very kind mare. But not kind in the way most would think. She was a sterile mare, just like Oceanfire is a sterile stallion, so she's never had a foal with Stonewing. (Thankfully, Mountain Herd doesn't track lineages, unlike Desert Herd and Snow Herd -even Jungle Herd to some extent.) However, the couple doesn't mind. Since Cedarcloud never bore a foal she sees the herd -maybe even all pegasi- as her foals. As such she hates seeing them fight, always being the one to put an end to arguments with her highly authoritative stature.

Oceanfire was happy to have her on his side. Stonewing nodded respectfully to his mate. They'd been together for over twenty years, so they held each other in the highest respect. Many pegasi joke, saying Cedarcloud is the one in charge of the herd rather than Stonewing. But, of course, that's bogus. They're a unit; they work together rather than one on top of the other.

"Alright, you may stay in Canyon Meadow for the day, but it'd be best if you leave tomorrow," said Stonewing.

"Of course. Thank you for your generosity, Stonewing, Cedarcloud," nodded Oceanfire. "But, I think I'll just leave now. I don't want to intrude anymore on your herd."

"Are you sure?" Cedarcloud asked, her brown eyes warm with such kindness.

"It'd be for the best," Oceanfire sighed.

"Alright. But just know, you'll be welcome in Mountain Herd if you ever need a rest from your travels," Stonewing said.

Oceanfire nodded again then walked away. Ashfire, Springfire, and Crimsonfire watched him leave. Darkwater grinned at him as he left. The young mare was obviously happy he got away from scot-free. Crimsonfire had a look in his eyes, almost like he was disappointed.

"Disappointed I didn't get the death blow, maybe," Oceanfire thought as he spread his wings and took flight once again.