I 39 I

☂ there's always a choice ☂ 

Klaus waves his spatula around in the air. 

Five and I exchange confused expressions. 

Luther looks like he wants to die right now. 

'I thought you said you haven't been able to conjure anyone in years.' Luther points out in a low tone. 

'Ah, yes, I know, but I'm sober.' Klaus smiles. 'Ta-da! I got clean, yesterday, to talk to someone special, and then ended up having this...conversation with dear old Daddy himself.' He sighs. 

'Has anyone got some aspirin?' Luther grumbles. 

'Top shelf, next to the crackers.' I answer. 

'Hey, hey, hey.' Klaus frowns. 'This is serious, guys, all right? This really happened, I swear.' 

Luther sighs to himself. 

'Okay, fine. I'll play.' Five grins sarcastically. 'What did the old man have to say?'

'Well, he gave me the usual lecture about my appearance and my failures in life.' Klaus starts, shaking his head. 'Yada yada yada. No surprise there. Even the afterlife couldn't soften a hardass like Dad, right?' 

Yep. I definitely expected him to remain an asshole. Even as a ghost. 

'But he did mention something about his murder, or lack thereof, because...' Klaus pauses for dramatic effect. 'Wait for it....he killed himself.'

'I don't have time for your games, Klaus.' Luther complains, swallowing several aspirins. 

'I'm telling you the truth, Luther. I'm telling you the truth.' Klaus repeats. 

'Why'd he do it, then?' Five asks. 

'He said it was the only way to get us all home again.' Klaus answers promptly. 

'No. Dad wouldn't just kill himself.' Luther argues. 

'Ah, you said it yourself. He was depressed.' Five says, glancing up at Luther. 

'Holed up in his office and room all day and night.' I wave my finger around in the air. 

'No. There weren't any signs. Suicidal people exhibit certain tendencies, strange behaviours.' Luther adds. 

'Like sending someone to the Moon for no reason?' Klaus points out. 

'I swear to God, Klaus, if you're lying...' Luther's expression hardens and his voice goes cold. 

'I'm not. I'm not.' 

'Master Klaus is correct.' Pogo says suddenly, entering the room. 'Regretfully...' he sighs. '...I helped Master Hargreeves enact his plan.'

'What?'

'So did Grace.' Pogo places his hands on his walking stick. 'It was a difficult choice for both of us. More difficult than you could ever know.' He sighs again. 'Prior to your father's death, Grace's programming was adjusted so that she was incapable of administering first aid on that fateful night.'

'Sick bastard.' Five mutters. 

'So the security tape we saw?' Luther says quietly. 

'It was meant to further the murder mystery.' Pogo answers solemnly. 

Luther scoffs. 

'Your father hoped that being back here, solving it together...would reignite your desire to be a team again.'

'And to what end?' I ask. 

'To save the world, of course.' Pogo smiles gently. 

'All right.' Klaus laughs. 

'First the Moon mission and now this.' Luther blinks. 'You watched me search for answers
and said nothing. Anything else you want to share, Pogo?' His voice raises. 'Any other damn secrets?'

'Hey, calm down, Luther.' 

'No, I won't calm down. We've been lied to by the one person in this family we all trusted.'

'It was your father's dying wish, Master Luther. I...' Pogo sighs. 'I had no choice.'

'There's always choice.' Luther frowns. 

Klaus closes his eyes. 

Five grabs my hand. 'I gotta think.' And with that, he spacial jumps us away.