Chapter 1 - First Meetings PT 1

"Balsamic mushrooms, meatloaf, chunky... sun-dried tomatoes," a stout teen by the name of Tobias Domzalski dreamily described, peeking into a brown lunch bag.

"And cardamom," James "Jim" Lake Jr., a lanky teen with raven hair, added. He handed another brown bag to the young woman standing next to Toby.

"Daring today, aren't you, Rookie?" You teased him, "This is definitely an awesome upgrade from MREs and cafeteria food. I am forever in your debt."

Jim reddened at your praise. "What's life without a little adventure?"

"I've heard so much about your cooking from Nana and your mother, especially Tobster."

Toby took another sniff of the bag. "I can't eat this, I'm on a diet."

"You've been on a diet for 14 years, Tobes," Jim said, mounting his bike.

"I know," Toby replied, nonchalantly.

"You're 15!" You said, "C'mon, we don't want to be late for school."

"Long-term goals," Toby explained, "My body's still changing."

Toby kept the lunch bag, packing it in his backpack before you all set off to the boys' high school, which was going to start in a few minutes. With Jim leading, you in the middle, and Toby lagging behind, you three cycled down the road.

Since you got back from your deployment a few days ago, you would ride Toby's spare bike with them to school and you'd make small talk to catch up with the latest news. This morning, however, Jim was running late and Toby didn't want to leave him behind.

Jim and Toby might as well be surrogate brothers with the way they looked out for each other. It reminded you of you and your squad's comradery. Then again, you were forced to bunk together, but you still had each other's backs through thick and thin.

"I'm right... I'm right," Toby gasped, "I'm right behind!"

"Ugh! It's 8 o'clock!" Jim called out, pedaling faster.

"We're going to get suspended," Toby anxiously shouted back, "on account of meatloaf!"

"We should take the canal!" You decided, "it'll give you guys a few minutes."

Jim immediately took your word and booked it down a dirt road, leading toward the said canal through the forest, with you veering in after him.

While the bikes traversed over bumpy gravel, it caused Toby's words to become choppy, "Not the canal!"

"Oh, live a little, Tobes!" Jim yelled, before jumping a make-shift ramp.

"I think it's the living he's worried about!" You shot back. You turned your head and smirked at your step-brother.

"I heard that!" Toby gruffly replied.

"Don't you want a little excitement, Toby?"

"No!"

You and Jim laughed at his answer.

"It's a small town," you said, "You've gotta make the best of it somehow."

As the edge of the canal came closer and closer, the trees and bushes were a blur at the corners of your vision. Jim sped up before flying off the edge, landing perfectly and skidding to a stop at the bottom. You leaned forward on your bike, pedaling harder. Your hair whipped wildly behind you as you sailed down the slope and began to cross the canal. You looked behind you to see your brother hesitate at the lip of the edge.

"Come on, Tobes!" Jim encouraged him.

You barely reached the other side when a voice resonated in your ears.