"Is Ezi home?" Dawson asked.

"Ezi? You mean Ezili? Because I'm the only one who calls her Ezi."

"Y-Yeah, Ezili," Dawson said with an awkward smile. This guy was a tool. What did Ezi see in him?

"No, she's at work," Harry said, and quickly added, "but don't think about going there. They're having a book club meeting; she'd be mad if you showed up and distracted her."

That was a lie. Harry didn't even know if people actually hosted book club meetings at random book shops, but did it matter? If he was going to be petty, he must go all the way.

"What do you wanna meet her for?" he asked before Dawson could leave. He didn't want to have a long conversation with Dawson about Ezi, but it was the only way to learn more about their date. "Did you do something that you wanna apologise for?"

"No. Of course not," Dawson chuckled and adjusted his glasses. "She bought some books and forgot them in my car."

"I could give them to her when she gets back from work," Harry said.

Dawson looked hesitant. "Well, she told me not to give them to you."

"Oh." Harry kept a straight face, but he was very offended that she'd made that request. Did she really hate him so much for what he'd said that night?

"So," he ventured, averting his eyes. "Guess the date went well?"

"I suppose," Dawson said.

Harry had hoped for a different response. This one didn't really hurt him but it didn't make him happy, either. He cleared his throat and straightened his back. "So are you looking forward to the second date?"

"I don't think there's gonna be one," Dawson said, to Harry's surprise. "I don't think she likes me like that?"

Okay, this was the response Harry had been waiting for. He tried to suppress a grin as he patted his cousin's shoulder sympathetically, while he was far from sympathetic. "Oh, don't be so pessimistic. I know she's a bit out of your league, but dare to dream a little."

"Very funny," Dawson snorted and brushed off Harry's hand. "But I think she has a crush on you."

"Really? I mean, no!" Harry faked a laugh, crossing his arm and leaning against the door in an unnatural pose. "No way." Now he sounded like a commercial guy who had never attended a single acting class. "She doesn't...she doesn't have a crush on me," he stuttered. "W-Why do you think so?"

Dawson pressed his lips into an understanding smile that made Harry's face grow red. "All she talked about for the entire night was you."

Harry thought Dawson was just teasing him at first. Then he remembered that this was Dawson, not him. So it was true. Ezi had talked about him for the whole night when she was with Dawson.

"What did she say?" Harry asked, trying to seem more curious than excited.

"She told me you were a good cook, and then complained about your bad habits. Then it was all 'Harry said that' and 'Harry said this'. It seemed like she was really into you."

"Oh, wow."

"What?"

"Nothing." Harry shrugged, trying to act cool and all that. "I'm just surprised. I thought she hated me."

"I mean, she can still hate you if she has a crush on you," said Dawson. "Also, why is she staying with you? Where's her family?"

Harry shifted uncomfortably. "Why didn't you ask her?"