Prologue

The end or the beginning?

[ unknown perspective ]

My breath became weak as I backed myself into the corner of electrical. My whole body was rapidly shaking, eyes wide in terror as I stared at the figure in front of me. It was dark, but I could just make out who it was.
   My legs slowly moved in defense as I tried to scramble myself away from the shining blade I saw before me. I couldn't move much more; my spine pressed into the cold metal.
   This can't be it. I can't die here, I still have so much to do.

. . .

   Just moments before, I was calmed by the quiet hum of the electric waves in the walls of the room, dimly lit by the hallway lights, seeping in through the entrance.
   As I fixed the wires below me, soft sparks escaping from the cords, I felt an eerie presence wash over me like an ocean current. I looked to my right and saw nothing. I swerved my head to the left and didn't notice any movement. I huffed out a deep breath before returning to my task.
   But as another minute passed, the anxiety still resided within my skin. I finished correcting the wires, and I shut the electrical box closed. Surprised by the loud slam, I jumped out of fear. Was someone watching me? I could feel eyes peering from somewhere in the room, but as I swung my head around, narrowing my eyes I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary.
   Taking another slow breath, I picked up my legs but they felt glued to the ground. With some effort, I managed to walk a few steps in front of me, making sure to stay quiet as I step over the wires and outlets below. My eyes shifted around each wall.
   Suddenly, my legs shot out under me.
   "Fuck!" I cussed under my breath as I tripped over a black cord. My head fell onto the ground lightly. Rubbing my forehead where I hit it, I brought myself back up onto my legs. The entrance to the hallway was in sight, I just needed to walk a little more.
   Anxiety shot through my bones as I took even more movements forward. Was someone still in the room? My ears started to ring. Something was definitely wrong.
   Suddenly, before I could even blink, I was hurled over in a tackle. I froze for a second but I started kicking and punching, trying to get the attacker off of my body.
   However my strength wasn't anywhere compared to my foe. My arms were quickly pinned back on the floor. Their knees were resting on my neck, making me choke. I fought for air momentarily, trying to lift my legs to hurl the enemy off.
   I was able to raise my left leg just enough so I could push the attacker off of myself and sloppily get back onto my feet. But I was stuck in the deep end of the electrical room. There won't be any escape without a fight. My lower jaw shivered in horror as I realized this might be the end.
   The figure's eyes were shining slivers, eyebrows down-turned in silent anger. They pulled something from behind their colored space suit. I gasped in fright as I watched them unsheathe a grey blade. I was hyperventilating by now, terrified of what was to come.