Chapter 26: Going Back Home

3rd Person's POV

"Shall I have someone go fetch the Cat as his father wants?" Kiyomi asked as she stood at the doorway, watching Akito buttoning up her shirt.

"No, I'll go." Akito sighed. "I have something to tell his father anyway. Kyo is free and I'm destroying that cottage."

"Are you serious?" Kiyomi asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Yes." Akito replied, nodding her head.

"You think his father will accept that?" Kiyomi asked.

"No. but I have made up my mind. Besides, Akari wants this for Kyo and I want to fulfill her wishes." Akito stated.

Kiyomi then let out a heavy sigh and walked into the room. She made her way towards the wooden wall where Haru created a big hole when he threw a punch at Akito weeks ago. Kiyomi then placed a hand on the repaired wall and leaned a bit on it.

"I envy the young." She mumbled out as tears started to form in her eyes. "They can change their whole way of life so easily. I was born and raised on the soma estate. I don't know any life outside of this place. But it's too late for me to change the way of life that I have spent 40... 50... 60 years building! I'm... I'm too old to change!"

"Then stay where you are." Akito stated in a light tone, softening her gaze at the head maid. "As long as you want... But I'm going."

And with that Akito walked out of the room.

Later that day

"There will be time enough later to believe in new meetings and beginnings, right?" Akito mumbled to herself, leaning against the doorway of the porch as she stared out at the bright blue sky, quietly watching the clouds floating by.

After her brief meeting with Kyo's father, Akito came back home and locked herself up in her bedroom. She kept thinking about Akari and the other zodiac members. She kept replaying Akari's words from the other day over and over again in her head.

The original story of God and the 13 zodiac animals.

Once upon a time, a certain person lived on a mountain. They had been alone for a very, very long time. They knew that many people lived at the foot of the mountain. But they were alone. They knew that their vast power, long life, and vast memory made them different from other people. They were afraid of people. They were afraid of being hurt. They were afraid of themselves For having such great power yet being so different from the crowd.

And then one day, a cat came to visit. They were bewildered at their sudden visitor, but the cat bowed its head respectfully and said, 'I've been observing you for some time. You are a deeply mysterious personage. I cannot help feeling drawn to you. I'm a mere stray cat but I pray you to let me be by your side. Please oh God.'

The cat was faithful to its words and never left the person's side. Not even for a moment. This made God very happy. So God had an idea, 'Perhaps those who are also different from humans would be willing to be my friends. Perhaps I could hold an enjoyable banquet with those who understand my feelings.'

God wrote many, many invitations. God sent them all. And in response 12 creatures came to see God. After that, God and the 13 animals held a banquet every moonlit night. They sang and danced. God laughed aloud for the first time. The moon quietly watched over the banquets shared by those who are different.