Chapter 13 - Boys Will Be Boys

Start from the beginning

James didn't know what to do as he sat there. He didn't feel sorry for doing it...it was for Lily, not him.

Not like she'll ever be grateful for it though.

James examined the split skin over his knuckles, the pain slowly dulling the anger. Grabbing his Broomstick and remaining Quidditch stuff, he walked slowly towards the changing room exit.

'Prongs?' he heard Sirius call out to him.

He ignored him continuing towards the door.

'Hey...James?'

James didn't care. If he couldn't have her...nothing would matter anymore.

**************************

Lily stormed into the Head Common Room; bursting through the door, and slamming it shut behind her. James sprung awake from his sleeping position on the sofa. He sat up and rubbed his eyes groggily, and Lily walked over to him, anger flaring in her deep green eyes.

'What the hell did you think you were doing?' she shrieked at him.

James subconsciously backed away on the sofa from her voice, and grimaced at the look of fury on her face.

'I can't understand why you're so stupid James!' she continued, 'you pick fights with people...you are so ridiculous it makes me sick!'

After waking up a bit more, he brain processed what she had spat at him and he glared at her, standing up, 'Lily, I...'

'Just shut up!' she snapped, '...you are meant to be Head Boy, James! How could you be so immature?'

James watched the girl in front of him pace back and forth, shooting glares and looks of disgust at him. Lily had heard about the fight between the two boys at dinner as it was all the Gryffindor table could talk about, and also that James had provoked it - which she wasn't surprised of. She had made her way to the Head Common Room after dinner was over, knowing he would be there. She couldn't grasp why he would be such an idiot to jeopardise his position in the school, just over some disagreement.

God! Why do boys have to get physical? Why can't they just use their brains for once in their lives?

Lily looked back at the Marauder, 'Do you realise that you could get suspended? What are you going to do then?'

'Not much I can do is there Lily!' James growled folding his arms across his chest.

She turned to face him, 'Well maybe you should go and speak to Professor Dumbledore. Tell him that you didn't mean to or something...apologise maybe.'

James couldn't believe the words that were coming out of her mouth, they were ludicrous...there was no way he was going to do that. He imagined himself doing all of those things...apologising to Reede and pleading with Dumbledore...no way.

'I'm not going to apologise Lily! And what I did...I very much don't regret!'

Lily narrowed her eyes at him, 'What the hell is that supposed to mean?'

'I thought you were meant to be smart,' he snarled, watching the anger spread over her face, 'It means...I don't regret showing that dickhead just what I think of him.'

'Oh for god sake,' Lily barked, sick and tired of him, 'Is this all just because Matthew likes me?'

James paused, stunned, 'Wha...'

'Because I know James!' she said cutting him off, 'I know...about you...'

He frowned and looked her, 'About me?'