Chapter Five

My favorite time of day is dinner time. Instead of taking my usual place beside Gabriel. I sit with Lukas at the fathers table from Gabriel. There are about two long tables full of servants, and each table holds about twelve people. There are about 24 servants in all now, but I remember when there were over 100. The people who weren't affected by the curse were people who ran away from the castle all those years back. I find myself wishing that I would have ran too. I and a few others chose to stay because of Gabriel. I think we all feared for him or maybe some of us were just too afraid to move. 

Everyone is standing and waiting for Gabriel and Isabella. Apparently, these two decide to be late for dinner. As time slugs on, everyone is slowly growing more impatient. Lela hangs onto Xavoir's shirt collar trying to keep him from running around. Louise and Piere ramble on about chasing women after the curse is broken. Two underlings Sarah and Elizabeth who sit across from Lukas and I are complaining about hunger pains. I don't blame them for complaining because my stomach is grumbling.

Right, when I was beginning think that Gabriel and his pet wouldn't arrive they walk in causing a scene. Isabella is red-faced laughing about something Gabriel is telling her. She laughs so hard she snorts. Embarrassed she momentarily puts her hand over her mouth glancing suddenly at Gabriel for his reaction. Then suddenly more abrupt laughter feels the hall. 

They both take their place in front of the room. Gabriel pulling out a seat for her like a true gentleman. Two servants prepare Gabriel's meal and bring it out to him. Bowls and plates of food are scattered around the table waiting to be put on our dinner plates. When Gabriel begins devouring into his food we sit and begin making our own plates. We pass around a plethora of bowls and plates filled with various foods. Lukas passes me a plate of cod and I fork out a piece on my plate. Sarah hands me a plate full of bread, I give her a smile to thank her and she returns her smile as well. I put one loaf of bread on my plate to eat with my fish. I pass a plate of rotisserie chicken to Lukas. I eat chicken religiously, today though I want some cod. When a bowl of mixed vegetables gets to me, I dump a lot on my plate since most people seem to keep passing it up. 

The crowd is talkative today. Jokes are laughed at and stories of old times are listened to. A wine that feels my body with warmth and reminds me of summer days slips down my throat and warms my chest. I drink a glass but some people are taking advantage of it. Wine is something we don't get much of anymore and if we aren't careful it won't last us until Gabriel goes out and meets his mother for more supplies. Louise and Pierre are enjoying quite a bit of it, and no one bothers to stop them. Everyone is caught up in such a good time. Today is one of those days that remind you of life before the curse. I sink lower in my seat and enjoy this moment by laughing at every joke and listening to every story. I suck it all in like a sponge. Even though I cannot stand Isabella, I am glad that her arrival brings hope to these people. 

Times like these I cannot help but remember when we had Johnny our jestur. He was funny as could be and got away with so many things. He was a short man with blonde curly hair and blue eyes. Always playing pranks and making up stories that would make a priest blush. Onr of my favorite stories about him was a prank  he pulled on the king. The king didn't take fondly to it. He threatened to execute him on the spot, and when he asked the jestur why he should be spared. Johnny pouted his lip acting really sad he replied, "my mistress would get lonely."

"Mistress?" replied the king who never seen Johnny talk to many women. "What mistress?"

"The queen of course!" He laughed running from the king. 

I smile at the memory wondering how Johnny is doing. Wishing he was here right now just to see what trouble he would be making. 

Lukas interrupts my thoughts and asks, "Don't eat all your food at once."